Position Announcement: Project Officer
Number of Posts: 1
Background: Africa Mental Health Foundation (AMHF) is a non-governmental organization whose main mandate is to conduct mental health research to inform policy and practice in mental health.
Our focus is on community mental health with the aim of providing innovative, appropriate, affordable, available and accessible mental health and substance use services to all.
The project aims to gather, report evidence and describe the origins and current status and outcomes of work implemented in Makueni County, to promote the role of community opinion leaders, traditional health providers (THPs) and community elected health volunteers to establish sustainable and acceptable mental health service delivery systems at primary care level in areas with limited access to care.
It will involve describing the work of the sites and the gaps and opportunities communities face in building community participation and power in diverse areas of population health, in health systems and in addressing social determinants of health using innovative municipal/local level models.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Principal Investigator (PI) the Project Officer will be responsible for planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring, managing and reporting of the project.
· To participate in promoting inter-sectoral co-ordination between health and other sectors relevant to improving health and the social determinants of health (SDH).
· Gather and present existing documented evidence on the context, purpose of the models, measures on social power, participation in health, SDH and key informant perceptions on the process, system and health outcomes/impacts
· Register the lead and members of the case study team and selected site members on the project web platform for them to share information from the case study work and make input to the general and moderated discussions in the project web-platform.
· Provide comments, feedback, responses to queries in the web platform on a theme area arising from the work on the web platform or related to the case study conducted in Makueni County.
· Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly work plans related to the project
· Take comprehensive notes during interviews with participants
· Ensure proper transcription and translation of completed interviews.
· Develop interview guides for in-depth key informant interviews and other data collection tools for opinion leaders, THPs, community elected health volunteers and decision makers
· Participate in quality and timely data collection and ensure that ethical issues are observed during collection process.
· Ensure proper documentation of all the project process and activities through detailed reports while adhering to the project timelines.
· Conduct literature search and participate in writing of scientific manuscripts
· Assist with qualitative data analysis using Nvivo Software, preliminary coding and drafting of findings.
· Participate in dissemination of research findings and policy dialogue with appropriate audiences.
· Mobilize participants and educate the stakeholders and communities in relation to the research project.
· Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Medical Anthropology, Public Health, Community Health and Development, Psychology or its equivalent from a recognized institution
· Master’s degree is an added advantage
· Computer literate and proficiency in at least one qualitative software
· Co- author of at least 1 qualitative research publication in a peer reviewed journal is an added advantage
· Minimum two years’ experience with health related qualitative data analysis
Additional Skills and Competencies:
· Strong communication and presentation skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Excellent writing skills and ability to write articles, proposals and reports
· Self driven and able to work with minimal supervision.
· Team player and ability to demonstrate problem solving approach
· Ability to work under pressure
· Excellent time management skills with the ability to meet strict deadlines.
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to send an application letter and a detailed CV to email@example.com and indicate PROJECT OFFICER – DEEP SCAN CASE STUDY as the subject line.
Applications should be received by 18th November, 2016.
All qualified internal candidates should apply electronically through the HR Department.
NB: Only short listed candidates will be contacted.Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.