UN Agency: UNDP
Job Title: Programme Assistant
Job ID: 7241
Practice Area – Job Family: Women’s Empowerment – Gender Programme
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Background: UNDP Somalia works across Somalia through several Programmes: Governance and Rule of Law (GROL), Poverty Reduction and Environmental Protection (PREP), Gender and HIV&AIDS.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of both the Gender Programme Specialist, the Project Assistant will provide administrative and financial support to the implementation of all Gender programme activities, while ensuring a high standard of quality and accuracy in their work.
The Project Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations, Programme and Projects staff in the country office and other UN agencies staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
· Support implementation of operational strategies
· Support to effective procurement, budgeting, financial and assets management
· Effective and efficient programme management support
· Effective administrative and financial control in the programme
· Knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Full compliance of administrative activities with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
· Ensure strong linkages between the Gender and other UNDP programmes;
· Support Project officers and programme team on UNDP procedures to follow in terms of budgeting, contracting modalities with implementing partners;
· Actively participate in the preparation of work plans and operation plans as well as procurement plans for programme, monitor progress and advise on timely corrective actions for proper operational project delivery;
· Liaise with counterparts in the preparation of contracts such as letters of agreement (LOA) and Micro-capital grant agreements (MCGs) including activities, work plans, budget and schedule of payments and submit draft of agreements to relevant Programme Specialist for approval; ensure that such agreements are up to date and that activities are not undertaken beyond contractual period;
· Provide support in quality control of programme activities, including assessing impact and effectiveness, tracking outputs and results, and ensure timely and efficient delivery of programme through a client-satisfaction approach;
· Maintain an appropriate filing system documenting the implementation of approved work-plan activities;
· Monitoring of achievements of outcomes and outputs as per LOAs and MCGs and supporting counterparts through monitoring and training in ensuring timely and proper financial and narrative reporting in collaboration with the Programme Specialists;
· Provide support in regular monitoring and data collection of programme activities and provide regular work-plan and progress reports to the Programme Specialists;
· Produce timely implementation and monitoring reports as required by the programme.
Ensure effective Procurement, Budgeting and Financial and Assets management, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
· Assist in the preparation of project activities budgets based on approved work plans;
· Provide logistic and admin support to the project and staff;
· Raise requisitions and be the financial focal point utilizing ATLAS (UN financial management system) for the project;
· Provision of inputs to preparation of procurement plans for the project;
· Preparation of inventory reports and keep up to date the office filing system;
· Review financial reports submitted by counterparts and liaise with counterparts to ensure the transparent and accountable use of funds provided in the framework of LOAs;
· Collect, maintain and update data relevant to the project areas being supported, maintain work plan information for the programme;
· Support coordination of activities implemented in all regions and promote information sharing between the regions and different components of the Programme;
· Support the counterparts and UNDP programme staff on operational issues, and complying with UNDP rules and procedures under Letters of Agreement;
· Coordination of assets management in the project, timely preparation and submission of periodic projects inventory reports, coordination of physical verification of inventory items.
Provides support to timely and quality reporting to Programme Specialists’ activities, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
· Ensure that donor and other kinds of reporting are done in a timely manner and within the UNDP rules and regulations or according to the criteria set out in partnership documents with donors;
· Ensure proper reporting to Programme Specialists on implementation, the achievement of outputs as well as, contribute to reporting on progress towards outcomes and impact;
· Prepare presentations to development partners and Programme Specialists as required;
· Support production of progress reports, issues and constraints against work plan and as required.
Ensures effective administrative and financial control in the office, focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Support and guide project staff in the field, implementing partners and consultants on UNDP administrative and Direct Implementation Modality (DIM) reporting requirements, clearance procedures for finance, procurement, recruitment, travel, and related issues;
· Prepare budget and budget revisions as required; Update and initiate processing of project and financial entries in ATLAS;
· Reconciles the records of payments with activities and prepare new disbursements to the Programme Specialists;
· Review of data integrity in the database, control project; analysis of results and initiation of corrective actions when necessary;
· Proper inventory control; supervision of proper issuance of inventory items and supplies;
· Review of travel authorizations, documentation, payments;
· Assistance in the preparation of budget, audit and other reports;
· Provision of researched information, reports for audit exercises.
Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the programme team and CO, focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned from the Gender programme for organizational sharing and learning;
· Supports capacity-building of national counterparts; and
· Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the programme/CO.
· Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Knowledge Management and Learning
· Shares knowledge and experience
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
· Ability to perform a variety of specialized tasks related to Results Management, including support to design, planning and implementation of programme, managing data, reporting.
· Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system, including new IT based systems
· IT competencies in Word, Excel, Power Point and internet.
Leadership and Self-Management
· Focuses on result for the client and responses positively to feedback
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
· Remains calms, in control and good humored even under pressure
Required Skills and Experience
· Completion of Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
· University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related fields would be desirable, but is not a requirement.
· Minimum 6 years of administrative or programme/project experience is required at the national level.
· Advanced skill in the usage of computer software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), and web based management systems.
· Fluency in English good written and oral skills.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE for more information and to apply online
Vacancy End Date: 29/12/2016 (Midnight New York, USA)