Médecins Sans Frontières is urgently looking for a;
Field Communications Manager for Kenya
General Context:Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
Given the increasing volume of MSF operations within Kenya, it became crucial for the FCM position to be occupied on a full time basis in order to provide adequate communications support to MSF operational teams in the country.
She/he will propose, implement and coordinate all MSF communications related to our operations in Kenya, in order to build visibility, acceptance and leverage.
II. Place in the Organisation: The Kenya FCM is an intersectional position shared between all MSF sections based in Kenya.
He/she is under the shared hierarchical supervision of the Heads of Mission in Kenya and receives technical support from the Regional Information Office (RIO) for East Africa managed by the Regional Communication Coordinator (RCC).
He/she also reports to the relevant Communications Advisors (CA) based at HQ level for content and strategy validation.
III. Main Responsibilities
Propose and implement the MSF communications strategy in Kenya (CCF) under the supervision of the Heads of Mission, with the direct support of the Regional Information Office (RIO) for East Africa, which is composed by the Regional Communication Coordinator (RCC), the Regional Media Manager (RMM) and the Regional Digital Manager (RDM) Media management:
- Identify opportunities and Produce MSF communications for media (Press Release, Statement, Talking Points, Q&A…)
- Facilitate media request and visits to MSF projects in Kenya in coordination with the RMM o Identify and brief MSF spokespeople for public communications
- Act as a spokesperson when necessary Content Production: o Coordinate the production of MSF operational communication material (Operational Update, Photos, Videos, Interviews, Op-ed, Social Media Posts…) according to strategy, context and budget
- Assist MSF field teams in producing communications tools directly related to operations (sensitization material, tee-shirts, posters, radio spots...)
- Produce material for MSF external social media platforms (Twitter, FB, IG, Blogs, Website) in coordination with the RDM.
- Coordinate the organisation of MSF local events related to operations and advocacy (exhibition, debate, concert…) according to strategy and budget o Support the organisation of MSF local events related to institutional communications (recruitment, East African MSF association, representation, fundraising…) in coordination with the relevant department.
- Produce and disseminate material for internal operational communications at different MSF levels (field teams, associative members, coordination, communication departments, HQ…)
- Produce and manage the annual communications budget for Kenya to implement agreed communication strategy, approved by the Heads of Mission.
- Monthly reporting to Head of Missions, RCC and CA.
- Regular field trips to MSF projects in Kenya
- Potential international training/workshop
IV. Profile Requirements
- Degree in journalism, communication or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in journalism or a press office, ideally in Kenya.
- Audiovisual content production
- Humanitarian aid
- International working environment
- Fluent English and Kiswahili
- Additional regional language (Luo, Somali, French) valued
- Excellent writing skills
- Capacities to produce and edit audiovisual contents
- Event management
- Very good understanding of digital communication
- Commitment to principled humanitarian assistance
- Outgoing personality with strong diplomatic skills
- Highly organised
- Willingness to work flexible hours
How to Apply
Applicants should send their CVs and cover motivation letter under the reference of ‘Field Communications Manager' to email@example.com
Closing date: January 4th, 2017.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
Important Note: If you had already applied to the Nairobi-based regional media manager position that was advertised by MSF last November, you will be automatically considered for this field communication manager position for Kenya and therefore do not need to apply again.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.