Mercy Corps is looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position.
Position: Senior Area Manager
About Us: Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places.
In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities.
Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives to grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Program / Department Summary: Mercy Corps implements high-quality, analytical development work and peacebuilding programs in difficult places.
We have been operating in Kenya since 2008 and are presently implementing development programs across the Central, Rift Valley, North Western and Northern Eastern regions of Kenya.
The Senior Area Manager will oversee implementation of a one-year election violence prevention and response program beginning in December, 2016.
The program will pursue three inter-related objectives:
1) Identify and map the relationships between key influential actors, in identified at-risk areas, capable of mobilizing people toward and away from violence;
2) Develop or expand upon existing structures that facilitate coordination and information sharing related to electoral security planning and response between identified local influencers, including community leaders, local administrators, and the security sector, and;
3) Electoral security structures develop plans and processes that enhance prevention and responses to early indicators of violence.
The Senior Area Manager will be responsible for managing and supervising project activities and the performance of project partners.
He/she and his/her team will work with electoral bodies and the security sector—along with civil society—to establish and strengthen existing local networks, establish county level Early Warning Early Response (EWER) Hubs, and link them to Uwiano platform.
The project team will leverage different players and networks to preempt political manipulation by providing administrative and logistical support to enable stakeholders to monitor risks, and develop actionable plans for prevention and response.
General Position Summary: Under the direction of the Project Director, the Senior Area Manager will be responsible for the overall planning and implementation of project activities in coast region.
S/he will directly manage the program staff based in the coast region and take overall responsibility for the day to day running of the Mombasa office and work with the Project Director in Nairobi to ensure project activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality.
Essential Job Functions:
· Manage and oversee all project activities in the coastal areas as agreed with the Project Director and in accordance with approved proposal, budget and timelines;
· Coordinate and share information with the Project Director and the greater program team go ensure overall program targets and donor obligations are being achieved;
· Visit project sites regularly, including partner sites, to provide appropriate technical assistance, monitor and oversee activities;
· Ensure full application of participatory methodologies like Participatory Learning and Action and Appreciative Inquiry in facilitation of community dialogue meetings, and trainings and workshops;
· Support the project and partner staff to establish a system to monitor and evaluate program activities and impact on an ongoing basis. Ensure that program monitoring is being done on a regular basis and that adequate monitoring reports are prepared;
· Act as the main liaison with relevant county government and IEBC officials and institutions, stakeholders and community members relevant to project;
· Participate in peace, election and conflict-related coordination meetings and professionally represent Mercy Corps in these meetings;
· Support the development of partnerships with national and international NGOs, CBOs and other agencies involved in election conflict management initiatives and other Mercy Corps activities.
· Build the capacity of select implementation partners to improve their technical, organizational and management capacity.
· Regularly meet with and communicate with the Project Director to discuss program achievements, especially when they deviate from the original plan;
· Participate in project team meetings as required;
· Work with Project Director to organize and facilitate field visits for donors and Mercy Corps staff;
· In collaboration with the Project Director, monitor security developments and report to Mercy Corps Senior Management as per the Mercy Corps Kenya security procedures and protocols;
· Jointly prepare donor reports with the Project Director and other staff to capture program impact;
· Provide direct and ongoing supervision and managerial support to project and partner staff based on the coast to ensure effective implementation of program activities;
· Oversee the development of program, staff and partner work plans, and ensure regular one-to-one sessions and performance reviews to review progress and resolve any concerns or issues;
· Support and facilitate team and partner development, encourage active participation of team members and support positive relationships between members;
· Identify training needs and opportunities for project staff to ensure that they have adequate resources to complete program objectives, and to enable learning and growth;
· Ensure that project staff have the necessary facilities and office equipment for the smooth functioning of the program;
· Maintain close cooperation with the Finance and Administration departments and other staff to ensure that the program is in full compliance with all the established operational, administrative and financial procedures;
· Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission;
· Other duties as assigned.
Organizational Learning: As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: All coast-based Project Officers
Reports Directly To: Project Director
Works Directly With: Project team (in all locations), coast based team, local implementing partners, Government, IEBC, security sector, HR, operations, Finance teams, Nairobi based team
Knowledge and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in conflict management/peace building, social sciences or other relevant field. A Master’s degree is preferred;
· Minimum of six years’ relevant professional experience managing conflict management or other peace building or capacity building related projects preferably within NGOs;
· Demonstrated experience working on past Kenyan election violence prevention programs and with electoral processes and stakeholders is a preferred;
· Experience in managing teams and facilitating planning and program development processes;
· Experience in both community level programming and government focused capacity building;
· Experience working in conflict and coastal environments is required;
· Excellent verbal communication, negotiating, organization and prioritization skills;
· Excellent quantitative skills and financial management knowledge is preferred;
· Leadership skills, and proven experience in developing effective teams;
· Strong organizational and managerial skills;
· Demonstrated problem solving skills;
· Demonstrated experience in coaching, conducting workshops and community meeting facilitation;
· Excellent written communication skills with demonstrated ability to develop and write quarterly reports independently;
· Experience in building and maintaining strong/productive relations with implementing and strategic partner agencies is preferred. This includes coordinating with government authorities and counterparts;
· Excellent computer skills, including all Microsoft applications;
· Demonstrated skills to successfully communicate and initiate and maintain positive relationships with beneficiary’s community.
· Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and appropriate flexibility;
· Ability to effectively communicate with Mercy Corps target populations and partners;
· Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, and work independently and cooperatively with team members;
· Willingness to travel frequently to remote locations;
· Ability to quickly learn and implement new information/concepts;
· Must be able and willing to be impartial during the election period.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to email@example.com on or before Monday 28th November, 2016 by 4.00pm.
The email subject line must clearly indicate the job title and location being applied for.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.NB: Mercy Corps does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process.