The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks to recruit a highly talented Country Finance Specialist to be based at the CIP Sub Saharan Africa Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Center: CIP (www.cipotato.org) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research - for - development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers.
The Position: The Country Finance Specialists will report to the Regional Finance Manager and will support the Finance Unit in implementing CIP’s organizational mission through efficient and effective accounting and financial management.
This position will primarily oversee the financial operations of the country office and ensure timely delivery of financial reports, including cash and bank management, ledgers and other aspects of the country’s financial management. It requires broad understanding of program implementation and cross cultural people skills.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Oversee the financial operations of the country office and ensure timely delivery of financial reports, including cash and bank management, payroll, ledgers and other aspects of the country’s financial management;
- Responsible for entering financial information, timely month end close, and maintaining all financial records for projects and for the organization;
- Prepare, examine, or analyze accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards;
- Liaise with the Projects Finance Specialists in the monitoring and review of partners reports;
- Manage financial controls, analyze office and project budgets, and make recommendations on budget expenditures. Monitor the expenditures to ensure that program funds are utilized appropriately by the close of the fiscal year;
- Support the Country Manager and Project Managers, in coordination with the Project Finance Specialist, with project budget monitoring and review;
- Ensure that all financial reporting is completed on time;
- Responsible for country legal and statutory compliance;
- Compute taxes owed and prepare tax returns, ensuring compliance with payment, reporting or other tax requirements;
- Support in Fixed asset Management, review and support the preparation of inventories. Responsible for the review and approval of procurement documents.
- Receive and review monthly field financial reports for consistency, completeness and accuracy of documentation and proper posting of the finanacial information in system;
- Staying current with donor regulations and the award requirements. identified in the CIP compliance matrix;
- Ensure Time and Efforts Reports are completed on time and in an accurate fashion;
- When requested, and in conjunction with Program Managers or other staff, provide forms and worksheets to field finance staff as needed to track or document in-kind cost share, travel advances, allocation of costs among programs, payroll reports, etc. Assist staff in developing custom forms or worksheets as needed.
- Any other duties as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration and CPA (K);
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated experience in the accounting/finance/administrative area;
- Knowledge of the international development funding arena desirable;
- Aptitude for understanding complex regulations and monitoring financial transactions and documentation for compliance;
- Familiarity with Europe AID projects, Excellent oral, written communication, and problem solving ability;
- Excellent computer skills, including advanced Excel skills and experience with automated accounting systems;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Cross cultural sensitivity;
- Strong e-mail communication skills, ability to write in a manner sensitive to cultural differences, and provide clarity to staff where English is not the primary working language of the project;
- Ability to train/mentor staff in accounting requirements;
- Ability to be a team player in a busy environment, often with tight deadlines;
- A Kenyan citizen.
Conditions: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff position (NRS). The employment contract will be for a two-year term (with a three-month probation period) with the possibility of renewal, subject to performance and availability of funding.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through CIP’s Job Opportunities website (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a cover letter, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
Screening of applications will begin on 25 October, 2016 and will continue until the post is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site athttp://www.cipotato.org.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer.