The International Potato Center (CIP) seeks to recruit 2 highly talented Accountants for the CIP Sub Saharan Africa Regional Office in Nairobi.
The Center: CIP (www.cipotato.org) is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor.
This position will primarily assist in the preparation of payments and clearing accounts payable balances. It requires broad understanding of program implementation and cross cultural people skills.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Duties and Accountabilities:
- Receive and record invoices in the invoice register & check them for consistency and accuracy according to CIP guidelines and policies;
- Prepare payments and ensure safety of financial resources;
- Ensure appropriate supporting documents for transactions including receipts, invoices, contracts are attached;
- Ensure that payment requests are properly approved and that payments are effected within CIP-SSA turn-around time;
- Record financial transactions following proper classification of accounts and cost centre in the documents, and hand them over the general ledger accountant for posting;
- Reconciling and management of VAT accounts to ensure invoices with VAT are ready for processing the Exemption certificate;
- Ensure all bills are posted according to the period of the service provided (Utility Bills, Rentals, IT, Facilities) monthly;
- Management of overdue suppliers accounts to ensure all outstanding bills are reconciled and paid in time;
- Ensure all payments are filed sequentially and stamped PAID in readiness for Audit;
- Ensure financial transactions are carried out in accordance with the Center’s financial and administrative policies and procedures and Maintain detailed and accurate records for all financial transactions;
- Ensure and support in the maintenance of a good filing system.
- Minimum of CPA / ACCA Part 2;
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration;
- A minimum of three years of demonstrated experience in the busy accounting office;
- Aptitude for understanding complex regulations and monitoring financial transactions and documentation for compliance;
- Excellent computer skills, including knowledge of UNIT 4 Agresso Business systems;
- Accuracy and attention to detail;
- Cross cultural sensitivity;
- Strong e-mail communication skills, ability to write in a manner sensitive to cultural differences, and provide clarity to staff;
- Ability to train/mentor staff in accounting requirements;
- Ability to be a team player in a busy environment, often with tight deadlines;
- Be a Kenyan citizen.
Conditions: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff position (NRS). The employment contract will be for a two-year term (with a three-month probation period) with the possibility of renewal, subject to performance and availability of funding.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through CIP’s Job Opportunities website (http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a cover letter, a full C.V with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
Screening of applications will begin on 25 October, 2016 and will continue until the post is filled.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org.
CIP is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified women and professionals are particularly encouraged to apply