Position: Field Officer - MAICE Project (2 Positions)
Deadline to Apply: Rolling Basis
Start Date: ASAP
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit research organization that creates and evaluates approaches to solving development problems.
About the project: Chronic exposure to aflatoxin, a fungal byproduct commonly found in maize, has been linked to liver cancer and suppressed immune system function.
Non-experimental evidence suggests exposure to the toxin could also negatively impact children’s development.
In Kenya, where maize is a staple in the diet, estimates of aflatoxin contamination vary by site and year, with various studies showing between 16% and 65% of maize exceeds the allowable limit.
MAICE is a randomized controlled trial being undertaken by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) to better understand the effect of aflatoxin consumption on stunting in children.
Currently in the Endline, IPA seeks qualified applicants for the position of Field Officers - Implementation for the MAICE Project to support an implementation partner in continued implementation and monitoring of an intervention to reduce aflatoxin exposure among households assigned to the treatment group, and result dissemination in the study villages.
The project is based in Meru and Tharaka-Nithi Counties, Kenya.
The implementation Field Officer (FOs) will work closely with the data collection team’s management to perform a variety of tasks but not limited to:
- Identifying and confirming eligible study respondents;
- Get informed consent from study participants;
- Collecting data and samples from respondents with strict adherence to the SOP;
- Ensure proper storage and handling of field equipment such as rapid test kits, tablets, GPS machines etc.;
- Serve as team leader: Communicating with local administration (village elders), stockists, mobilizing guides, filling data forms and uploading data onto the server;
- Assist in monitoring and maintenance of various study inventory;
- Any other duties assigned by the Field Manager/Associate field manager.
- University degree in social sciences, agriculture, economics, community development or its equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years’ field experience in community research and development programs.
- Excellent verbal communication skills in both English and Kiswahili.
- Experience conducting quantitative data collection, including experience in conducting surveys. Use of CAI and SurveyCTO desirable.
- Well organized, flexible, detail-oriented, excellent listening skills, and willing to spend up to 80% of time in the field.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
To Apply: Click here - https://poverty-action.formstack.com/forms/fo__maice_projectDisclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer-MAICE. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.