One Acre Fund
Kenya People Division Deputy
Job Location: Kakamega, Kenya
Duration: Minimum 2-year commitment for full-time career role
Organization Description: One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the financing and training they need to grow their way out of hunger and poverty. Instead of giving handouts, we invest in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income.
We supply a complete service bundle of seeds and fertilizer, financing, training, and market facilitation—and we deliver these services within walking distance of the 400,000 rural farmers we serve.
We measure success in our ability to make farmers more prosperous and we always put Farmers First.
Job Description: One Acre Fund began in Kenya and it is now one of our largest and fastest-growing countries of operation. Our vision for 2030 is to end hunger in Kenya and provide a pathway to prosperity for every farm family in the nation.
One Acre Fund Kenya is transitioning from a start-up to a mature operation – and we need additional high performing staff members to continue our strong growth trajectory.
Working with our Kenya team presents the opportunity to build upon our strong operational foundations and explore new ways to impact our well-established network of hundreds of thousands of farm families.
The work of the People Division Deputy would include, but not be limited to:
Strategy & Vision
· Together with the division director, set and steer course for the 5-15-year vision
· Ensure department annual plans align with long-term vision and targets.
· Measure progress against goals, regularly report on progress, hold the team accountable to prioritizing and delivering results in key strategic areas.
· Prepare our people departments to scale rapidly, allowing OAF deliver rural services to 500,000 clients through 3,000 staff members by 2020.
· Hold Kenya program accountable to meet career promises to all staff – meaningful work, career growth and fair compensation.
· Proactively and effectively communicate up to the division director and country leadership, down to departments, across to other sets of leaders.
· Ensure People Departments are collaborating effectively with individuals, teams and divisions outside of the people division.
· Set-up appropriate systems of communication to keep everyone moving together.
· Participate in global people work and collaborate with other country programs.
Management & Training
· Serve as direct or secondary management line to 1-3 key people departments in Kenya. These departments could include: Corporate Operations, Human Resources, Training, Recruitment, Analytics, and Infrastructure.
· Management will include oversight, weekly reporting meetings, performance reviews and development, strategic direction and support.
· Personally lead training sessions for senior staff members.
Team & Culture
· Serve as a leader and role model to the Kenya team at large. This should include a consistent demonstration of One Acre Fund core values, modeling a sustainable work/life balance, investing in the development of your team, and investment in team culture.
· Keep the pulse on team feedback, concerns, and upcoming events that might be destabilizing
· Actively contingency plan and mitigate risk areas that could destabilize staff or operations.
Execution of Strategic Initiatives
· Ensure that everything the People Division does adheres to world-class standards of execution.
· Set KPI’s and metrics to measure success.
· Regularly solicit feedback from the wider team and other departments.
Spending and Budgeting
· Participate, together with departments, in annual budgeting process; anticipate spending for the year based on annual plans.
· Regularly review actual spending against planned spending. Keep all departments operating to maximum efficiency and within planned budget.
Outside & External
· Occasionally host key external visitors and donors to One Acre Fund.
· Research and understand key best practices in functional work areas at other organizations.
· Think strategically about potential partnerships and learning opportunities from other organizations.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development.
We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews.
We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about.
Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 4+ years of work experience a demonstrated passion for international development.
Candidates fitting the following profile are strongly encouraged to apply:
· HR/Talent management experience.
· Strong people management experience (at least 3 years of managing a team of highly skilled workers).
· Strong leadership experiences with the demonstrated ability to lead a team to accomplish its goals.
· High Emotional Intelligence: Self-regulation and empathy in particular.
· A true team player: You’ll be willing to do whatever it takes to help the Kenya team.
· Excellent judgment in sensitive people issues, management skills, creative problem solving.
· Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
· Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
· A willingness to commit to living in rural areas of East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role. The ideal candidate will have at least one year of demonstrated experience working in the developing world, although this is not a strict requirement.
· Language: English required. Swahili-speakers strongly preferred.
Preferred Start Date: As soon as possible, although flexible for the right candidate
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: Health insurance, room and board, transport, immunizations
Sponsor International Candidates: Yes
East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Application deadline: Rolling applications