Job title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer (Data Management)
Post holder: New position
Reporting to: Options Kenya, M&E Officer, MANI Project
Location: Bungoma, Kenya
Type of contract: Fixed term – 1.5 years
Organisation: Options Consultancy Services Limited (Options) was established in 1992 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marie Stopes International. Options is a leading provider of technical and management expertise in the health and social sectors.
Our work focuses on providing expertise in sexual and reproductive health, maternal new-born and child health, HIV and AIDS, citizen voice and accountability, gender, social inclusion and equity to enhance institutional effectiveness to support strengthening of health service delivery.
Programme or department background
DFID Kenya has initiated a five-year programme (2013-2018) to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality in Kenya.
The Maternal and New-born Health Improvement (MANI) project is contributing to this by supporting sustained change in financing, planning and provision of and access to more efficient, effective, equitable and accountable service delivery in Bungoma county.
The MANI project will contribute to and deliver DFID Kenya’s commitment to provide skilled birth attendance to an additional 15,000 women by 2015 and a total of 95,000 by end of 2018 and is expected to contribute to preventing 1,092 maternal and 3,836 neonatal deaths by 2018.
The project will complement other areas of DFID health sector support in Kenya including the Kenya Health Programme, which provides health policy and systems strengthening support at national level, malaria, family planning, reproductive health social marketing, and DFID Kenya’s Adolescent Girls Initiative.
Main purpose of job (describe the overall objective of the role and how it fits into Options)
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Officer will primarily be responsible for supporting project M&E activities.
Key roles will include: data management (collection, entry, cleaning, analysis), generating and maintain project score cards and dashboards, preparing project data for reporting to the donor and providing M&E support to project staff to help provide real time and user friendly data to monitor activities and adjust as necessary to achieve results.
Main duties (outline areas of responsibility)
- Collation, verification and data entry of Health facility / Community Units data and research related data into the project database
- Data cleaning and validation before producing summaries for project reporting
- Trouble shoot and maintain the project database (Project Management Information System (PMIS) to ensure it remains up-to-date for timely project reporting to DFID
- Extract maternal and new-born health (MNH) data from DHIS, validate with PMIS, identify and address queries or discrepancies
- Routinely provide real time data summaries / analysis outputs to the project technical team
- Develop and maintain excel based data dashboards and scorecards.
- Support with development and maintenance of up-to date GIS site maps
- Maintain effective filing system for records at the MANI project office
- Participate in routine report compilation (monthly, quarterly, annually) when necessary
- Create and file all data in orderly manner and lock it in a safe place.
- The Officer will be required to assist in strengthening Government M&E / HMIS, which includes:
1. Maintaining an up-to-date Kenya Master Health Facility List (KMHFL) and Kenya Master Community Health Unit List (KMCHUL)
2. Assist HRIOs to carry out population projection, set and or review facility level target and track performance
3. Assist with M&E activities, including: capacity building, Data Quality Assessment (DQA), data collection and reporting.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by the M&E Officer
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g. Statistics, Health Records, Public Health, Epidemiology, Information Technology Demography)
- At least one year of project M&E and data management experience
- Good understanding of data management and analysis using Excel, SPSS & STATA
- Experience in troubleshooting and maintaining project level databases using MySQL & Ms-Access
- Experience of working in the health sector (especially in maternal and new-born health)
- Experience of working closely with government (e.g. strengthening management information systems (MIS) at National or county level)
Knowledge and Skills
- Computer proficiency in MS Office (Word, Access, Excel and PowerPoint), excellent command of MySQL databases
- Attention to detail and accuracy in data management and reporting
- Strong time management, planning, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Committed to producing high quality work
- Good report writing skills
- Good written and spoken Swahili and English
- Willingness to live and work in Bungoma County
- Commitment to equal opportunities
Note: this job description reflects the present requirements of the post.
As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the job holder.
How to Apply
Suitably qualified individuals are invited to submit their CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 19th 2016.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interviews.