Vacancy: Regional Finance Director, East and Southern Africa
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries.
We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office.
We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Role Purpose: As a key member of the regional leadership team, you will take shared responsibility for delivering Save the Children’s strategy within the region.
- Be the trusted partner of the Regional Director and his / her immediate team on all finance related matters
- Contribute to the development of multi-year strategic and operational plans, and be accountable for ensuring and monitoring delivery against the financial plans through targeted financial analytical review and best-in-class forecasting
- Develop the capacity of Country Office (CO) Finance Directors and their teams in order that they meet Save the Children International finance and award management essential standards and comply with Save the Children International standard operating procedures
- Ensure that appropriate controls are in place across the region and that financial risk is minimised
- Enable appropriate operational and investment decisions to be made on the grounds of sound financial analysis support financial readiness, planning and response to humanitarian situations.
Contract Duration: 2 years
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Qualifications and Experience
- Significant senior level leadership and management experience in a large and complex international NGO or organisation in finance
- Qualified finance professional with financial management experience at a regional level within a complex global organisation
- Experience of developing and building capacity in a regional finance function
- Experience of implementing/working within strong control frameworks, where an audit background would be desirable
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a matrix management environment. Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets
- Ability to present complex financial information in a succinct and compelling manner
- Experience of exposure to the non-for-profit sector and/or developing countries
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Willingness to undertake significant amounts of travel to the country offices for training, support and capacity building purposes
- Commitment to Save the Children values.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. This role closes on 20th July 2016.
To see a full a job description, please visit our website atwww.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
To ensure our interests in the region, follow-up on our program implementation in East and Southern Africa and identify new opportunities for funding, Save the Children Norway seeks a well-qualified person to fill a position asAssociate Area Director for East Africa for a two years’ engagement.
The position includes 20% time allocated to Technical Assistance on Child Rights and strengthening of Civil Society to selected Country Programs.
Work location will be the Nairobi regional office with extensive travelling to relevant Save the Children Country Offices and programs in the region.
- Close follow up on program planning and development, as well as assist on program implementation and reporting for selected countries in Save the Children Norway’s East and Southern Africa portfolio, in close collaboration with head office in Oslo and Country offices
- Build relationship with the management team in prioritized country offices in East and Southern Africa to ensure closer communication and engagement with country programs about Save the Children Norway’s strategic priorities, principles and methods
- Contribute to regional coordination of Save the Children Norway's activities in East and Southern Africa
- Initiate and assist on identifying and pursuing fundraising opportunities by building relationships with local embassies, UN, EU and other international organizations and potential donors
- Provide oversight, support and quality assurance on Child Rights and strengthening of Civil Society to selected Country Programs in the region (20%)
- Build relationships with relevant INGOs and international community in the region
- Support selected country programs in application processes
- Communicate regional results in the organization, and promote internal and external dissemination of Save the Children Norway’s learning in the region
- International experience and program understanding.
- Solid knowledge of Norwegian development and humanitarian aid systems and priorities will be given particular consideration.
- Broad understanding of human rights, child rights and development issues, international relations and the international humanitarian systems
- Ability, knowledge and influence to make strategic assessments of focus and prioritization of management team in country programs
- Experience from project and team management, communication and coordination
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress
- Knowledge and experience on Child Rights and working in partnership with local civil society – preferably in the context of the region
- Ability to adjust to new environments and to collaborate with colleagues from different cultures and contexts
- Knowledge of Save the Children Norway and commitment to Save the Children’s mission, values and approach
- A professional qualification at minimum master level
- Strong communications skills in English essential and Norwegian a strong advantage (both written and verbal)
What we offer
- Enriching and meaningful work in an international dynamic organization
- Good career opportunities
- Positive and exciting work environment
Save the Children Norway offers a challenging position among highly competent and engaged colleagues.
Work location will be in the Nairobi regional office and the position reports to Area Director East Africa in Oslo.
Terms and conditions will be agreed during the recruitment process.
If you like more information regarding the position, please contact Area Director Henrik Stabell: firstname.lastname@example.org .
To view this profile and apply for this positions follow the URL:
Application closes 7th July 2016
Application closes 7th July 2016