Job Title: Kenya Insight & Impact Officer
Job Ref.: BVKE-305034
Responsible To: Lead, Insight & Impact (UK)/Kenya Country Manager
Start Date: December 2016
About Us: Our client is a rapidly growing UK based social enterprise founded in 2011. Their run enterprise programmes in Africa and Asia that provide training and funding to entrepreneurs for the entire business journey.
The organization’s mission … is to create a world where potential is realised through building sustainable local businesses.
Because … they believe helping small scale entrepreneurs’ launch and grow their businesses is the most effective and sustainable way to end poverty.
Your Role: The Impact & Insight Officer is responsible for ensuring that the organisation’s programmes create impact in line with their mission.
The role is mainly project driven (i.e. working on specific issues for a few months) and includes elements of research, analysis, report writing and implementation support.
Working well with the other members of the BV team (e.g. Programme Coordinators and Loan Officers) will be an integral part of the role.
There is also the potential for the role to grow into managerial position as the Insight & Impact function grows.
· Co-design key impact related processes (e.g. entrepreneur/volunteer selection & recruitment)
· Ensure smooth implementation of impact related processes (i.e. ensure that the BV delivery team can carry out these processes effectively and that these processes are aligned with other departments such as the Loans team)
· Audit any new and existing impact related processes
Responsibilities of the Post
Co-design key impact related processes
· Conduct needs analyses around what a process might need to achieve (thinking about, outputs, finances, ability to implement etc.)
· Design a prototype of the process using existing knowledge within the organisation and any relevant external sources (e.g. wider literature)
· Design a test of the prototype in a selection of programme locations
· Oversee/manage the test, collecting process and output data (using interviews, observations, surveys etc.) regarding its strong and weak points
· Analyse the findings from the test and synthesise these in report to key stakeholders providing key insights and actionable recommendations
Ensure smooth implementation of new and existing impact related processes
· Following the decision to implement a new impact process, train the BV delivery team in how to deliver these processes to a high standard
· Create any guidance (e.g. policy documents) that may be needed to support implementation
· Act as the central contact point for queries from BV Kenya staff on all impact related processes
· Audit any new and existing impact related processes
· Audits may involve observations, interviews, surveys etc. designed to ensure that impact related processes are delivered to a high standard
· Provide any support necessary to address needs arising from the audit
· Undertake other duties as required by the Lead, Insight & Impact
· Undertake management responsibilities for the Kenyan Insight & Impact team as the function grows
· Operate cooperatively and flexibly with colleagues in the organisation
Key Measures of Success
· Projects delivered to a high standard (measured by KPIs set up for each project)
· Increased quality and consistency of impact related process
· Improving organisational impact KPIs (e.g. entrepreneur profit) especially relating to issues addressed through projects
· Have experience of working on NGO programmes (ideally with entrepreneurs as beneficiaries)
· Have experience working in a programme improvement, innovation, or impact/evaluation related role
· Have a strong work ethic, working to a high standard with careful attention to detail
· Have a habit of meeting deadlines, working with minimal supervision
· Enthusiastic about learning with a ‘can do’ attitude
· Have the confidence and ability to share your ideas
· Be able to form strong relationships with other members of the BV team
· Be analytical and think in a structured way
· Have excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Office
· Be able to learn quickly
· Have a very high level of numeracy
· Have excellent written and verbal communication skills (English & Swahili)
· Be trustworthy and honest – BV has a zero tolerate policy on bribery or corruption
· Have experience running a business in Kenya and/or have received training in this enterprise or entrepreneurship
· Be comfortable using survey tools (e.g. Survey Gizmo)
· Have a degree or higher education qualification (e.g. diploma) in economics, business, social enterprise, development or related field
· Have experience working cross-culturally, with people from outside of East Africa
Other Important Bits
· Salary of 45,200 KSH gross (including medical insurance)
· 3-month probation period
· 12-month contract
· You will be based in Nakuru with a large amount of travel around the Rift Valley
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating expected salary and their daytime contact to email@example.com (Subject of the email should be the title of the POSITION APPLIED FOR + JOB REF).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contactedNote: We do not charge any fees for receiving and reviewing applications or for interviews