The Competition Authority of Kenya (the Authority) is a Statutory Agency established under the Competition Act No.12 of 2010.
The Authority’s mandate is to promote and safeguard competition and also protect consumers from unfair and misleading market conduct.
The Authority invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the following position:Policy, Research & Advocacy Division
Senior Advocacy Officer
Job Reference CAK/05.10/2016
This position reports to the Manager, Policy, Research and Advocacy
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise on National, Regional and International competition and consumer welfare matters;
- Coordinate CAK’s participation in regional and international meetings/ conferences to articulate Kenyan position;
- Advise on the Alignment of the national competition law with international best practices;
- Coordinate stakeholders’ awareness fora in liaison with other departments.
- Coordinate contribution to relevant publications and international competition networks events.
- Spearhead the Authority’s resources mobilization initiatives from development partners;
- Respond to enquiries from government agencies and other stakeholders on relevant competition issues;
- Maintain an effective database of relationships and contacts;
- Conduct economic research in specific sectors supporting recommendations for initiation, where appropriate;
- Conduct economic research into specific sectors related to key competition concerns;
- Participate in conducting economic analysis in enforcement and merger cases and review outcomes following a merger or complaint decision;
- Provide adequate findings to influence the policy and legislative processes through drawing on research and literature to craft well-informed positions;
- Participate in creating internal and external awareness and understanding of economic principles and to present the authority’s point of view on competition matters;
- Identify research areas, develop research proposals and execute research studies on the insurance and industries;
- Design data collection methodologies and research related intervention in CAK’s priority programme areas;
- Participate in research surveys in liaison with the parent departments;
- Examine and analyze policy statements on competition from a regional and international perspective;
- Provide support in report writing and dissemination of research papers and policy briefs;
- Participate in the review and implementation of processes and procedures in accordance to ISO 9001:2008 and transition to ISO 9001:2015 standards; and
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation of the Authority’s Performance Contract activities and reporting as appropriate.
Education and Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in social studies with specialization in economics, statistics or development studies; Masters Will been added advantage;
- Specialist knowledge in using at least one statistical package; and
- Proficiency in ICT
- Over eight (8) years research experience gained from reputable organizations; and
- Diverse experience in identifying research areas, development of research tools, report writing and dissemination of information.
Skills and Competences
- Ability to communicate both inside and outside the organization
- Ability to write complex reports
- Analytical skills
- Organization and inter personal skills
If you possess the above qualifications, please write quoting the Job Reference and Title on both the application letter and envelope accompanied by an up-to-date curriculum vitae, indicating your current and expected remuneration and other benefits, academic and professional qualifications, work experience, your e-mail and telephone contacts.
Your curriculum vitae should indicate names, phone numbers, postal and email addresses of at least two (2) referees who are familiar with your previous academic/work experience.
Please attach copies of your educational, professional certificates, identity card or passport.
The applications should either be sent by post, e-mail, or hand delivered to the Authority’s offices located at Kenya Railways HQs Block “D” Ground floor, to be received on or before 3rd November 2016 at 5 P.M. addressed to:
General Competition Authority of Kenya
P O Box 36265 – 00200
P O Box 36265 – 00200
Email to: email@example.com
CAK is “an Equal Opportunity Employer” Women, Youth and Persons living with Disability are encouraged to apply.
Canvassing of any form will lead to automatic disqualification.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted