Kenya Maritime Authority
Vacancy: Corporation Secretary and Head of Legal Services
Kenya Maritime Authority (KMA) is a State Corporation whose mandate is to regulate, coordinate and oversee maritime affairs guided by the Kenya Maritime Act, Cap 370 and the Merchant Shipping Act, Cap 389.
Vision: To be a leading Maritime Authority transforming Kenya into a globally competitive nation.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Corporation Secretary and Head of Legal Services shall be responsible for legal matters pertaining to the Authority, including issues of property management, insurance, criminal proceedings.
Rendering legal advice to the Director General for any legal actions to be initiated and / or defending the interest of the Authority.
Advising managers on day to day legal problems connected with the Authority regulations.
The responsibilities of the Corporation Secretary and Head of Legal Services shall include and not limited to:
- Responsible for legal matters pertaining to the Authority, including issues of property management, insurance, criminal and civil proceedings
- Rendering professional legal advice to the DG for any legal action to be initiated and/ or defending the interests of the Authority
- Advising managers on day to day legal matters connected with the Authority’s operations
- Preparing legal briefs for the initiation of legal action
- Advising the Board of Directors on corporate and legal affairs and matters of corporate governance
- Arranging and conducting periodic and special meetings of the Board, preparing agenda and board papers and ensuring all board members receive agenda before scheduled meetings and within the stipulated time;
- Making administrative arrangement for board meetings e.g. accommodations and flight bookings, a transport arrangement and ensuring provision of what will be required during the meeting
- Recording and circulating minutes of board meetings, coordinating with various experts within the departments/sections for expeditious action on board directives;
- Liaising with ministries and government departments and follow up on action items;
- Ensuring compliance with established procedures for holding board meetings as well as statutory compliance with laws and regulations affecting the operations of the Authority:
- Initiating and progressing the enactment of the legislation proposed by the Authority through the AG’S chambers and Ministry of Transport
- Participating in the development of internal maritime conventions
- A law degree from recognized University
- An MBA or relevant postgraduate qualifications,
- An advocate of the high court of Kenya
- Hold of a valid practicing certificate
- Member of the law society of Kenya
- Registered certificated public secretary of Kenya
- A member of the institute of certified public secretaries of Kenya
- 10 years’ experience with at least 4 years at senior level management
- Prior experience in carrying out company/corporation secretarial duties
- Must have the ability to think strategically
- Must have proven intellectually leadership in managing people and financial resources
- Excellent interpersonal, management and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and highly confident
- Computer literacy and familiarity with standard office computer applications
- Ability to work under pressure
The candidate to be selected must adhere to the provisions of Chapter VI on Leadership and integrity, as enshrined in the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
Interested candidates must submit certificates of compliance from the Kenya Revenue Authority, the Credit Reference Bureau, the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission, the Higher Education Loans Board and a Certificate of Good Conduct from the Criminal Investigations Department.
KMA is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Prospective candidates should send their applications enclosing detailed curriculum vitae, copies of professional certificates, testimonials, names and addresses of three referees and indicating their current and expected remuneration addressed to:
Kenya Maritime Authority
P.O. Box 95076 - 80104
Or drop the application at the KMA offices, White House, 2nd Floor, Moi Avenue, near MSC Building, Mombasa; not later than 31st October, 2016.
Envelopes of physical applications shall be dearly marked on the top left hand, CS & HLS.