Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organisations in Kenya. Its vision is to be the most effective, trusted and self-sustaining humanitarian organisation in Kenya.
The Society is looking for a qualified person to fill this position:
Position Title: Public Relations and Communications Manager
Reporting to: Head, Strategic Partnerships & Corporate Affairs
Job location: Headquarters
Overall Purpose: This role is responsible for the effective design, development, implementation and evaluation of the Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) communications strategies aimed at promoting and enhancing the National Society’s image through media relations, social media, audio-visual communication, website and other online engagement, and creating public awareness and visibility on the role played by KRCS in delivering high quality humanitarian relief services.
Communications Strategy / Policies:
- Study the objectives, promotional policies and needs of KRCS to develop public relations and communication strategies and budgets that will influence public opinion or promote new humanitarian programmes.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of the communications strategy aimed at advancing the mission and objectives of KRCS, position KRCS as a leader in setting ethical and professional standards that enhance the integrity of humanitarian programmes.
- Implement an effective publicity strategy to ensure thorough documentation of programme activities to promote the National Society’s image and reputation as the leading humanitarian organization by highlighting best practices aimed at improving relationships and goodwill to benefit a greater number of communities.
- Oversee the development, editing and packaging of communication materials and other publications for internal and external audiences including employees, communities, stakeholders and the general public.
- Oversee the organization and implementation of press conferences, photo sessions and media events to address specific issues designed to improve understanding and acceptance of the society’s mandate policies, objectives, strategies and services.
- Oversee effective implementation of the National Society’s public relations and communications policy.
- Provide support to lobby and advocacy initiatives with a view to reform laws and policies that hamper the implementation of humanitarian relief services.
- Maintain effective media relations, establish and maintain regular contact with media representatives and also promptly respond to requests for information from the media, other stakeholders and the general public in order to promote the National Society’s image and reputation.
- Coordinate the effective utilization and maintenance of multi-media equipment, including the production of videos and appropriate use of photography.
- Provide technical leadership in the area of publicity and documentation.
- Strengthen partnerships and networks with stakeholders, particularly government agencies, development partners, NGOs and private sector organizations to ensure smooth implementation of humanitarian relief programmes.
- Represent the National Society in meetings, conferences and workshops and other fora to promote programme activities and articulate issues related to humanitarian relief.
- Conduct opinion polls and baseline surveys to identify trends, key interests and concerns in order to develop comprehensive communication reports based on analysis and interpretation of issues.
- Monitor the implementation of community programmes to identify, capture and document innovative approaches and best practices for purposes of disseminating and sharing experiences to promote repeat applications or scaling up in different community settings within the country and around the world.
Social Media, Website, Intranet and other Online Management:
- Coordinate the overall design and effective management of the National Society’s website and intranet facility and ensure that content is up to date and relevant.
- Coordinate the overall design and effective management of all the National Society’s social media platforms and ensure that content is up-to-date.
- Coordinate web projects across departments and maintain consistent branding throughout all web properties.
- Copyedit and proofread all web content.
- Assess training needs, develop and implement training programmes aimed at equipping staff with job competencies in information, documentation and publicity.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluating of individual and team performance against set targets and objectives.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with the media, government officials, employees, donors, stakeholders and the general public.
- Ability to compose and produce a variety of communications materials and website updates for release to media and other stakeholders.
- Ability to use computer software packages and internet formatting languages
- Knowledge of information and communication equipment such as all types of cameras, sound systems, multi-media projectors, etc.
- Teamwork: Shows appreciation of the differences between people. Networks externally bringing information into the team. Is a role model: coaches and mentors colleagues. Encourages others to be proactive in problem solving.
- Leadership: Inspires and supports people through change. Challenges appropriately the norm and status quo. Ensures the Purpose & Vision are understood and demonstrated by all staff. Is an active contributor within the Senior Management team.
Education and Experience:
- Masters degree in Mass Communications, Journalism or equivalent plus membership affiliation to professional body.
- Over 7 years demonstrated experience in developing and implementing effective corporate communications programmes.
Position Title: Resource Mobilisation Manager
Reporting to: Head, Strategic Partnerships & Corporate Affairs
Job Location: Headquarters
Overall Purpose: The position holder will be responsible for establishing, managing and developing a network of sustainable volunteer led support groups and individual fundraisers for the National Society.
The role combines strategic thinking, operational leadership and day to day support for the team.
He/she will grow both the existing core fundraising base and working with the team to deliver new ideas and initiatives.
He/she will be an inspirational fundraiser, have a genuine commitment to practical action and be a great manager.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and implement an effective resource mobilization strategy, in line with the organization’s plans, while considering the National Society’s long term and short term objectives.
- Provide leadership in the development of resource mobilization and marketing plans, budgets and programmes, and day to day management required to implement and manage all the initiatives, including staff and volunteer management.
- Establish committees as required to guide and assist with resource mobilization events and campaigns.
- Establish in conjunction with the management and board, mutually agreed resource mobilization targets with expected annual growth.
- Lead and manage the resource mobilization team. Work with the team to develop and implement strategies for individual donor development and acquisition, legacies, community groups, trusts, major donors, new initiatives, university and corporate support.
- Develop and manage effective financial planning and control within the unit, including monitoring and evaluation of all income and expenditure targets.
- Maintain all aspects of donor liaison and public contact for the organization, including with individuals and with the corporate and private sector.
- Maintain the resource mobilization base and build on existing relationships with donors, volunteers and funders.
- Manage the team, including appraisals, monthly progress reviews, coaching, training and development activities and team building. Deal with performance, grievance and disciplinary issues, recruitment and selection as required.
- Working with other managers to develop and implement a strategy for acquisition, relationship development and the achievement of income from each income stream ensuring delivery to target.
- Excellent and proven resource mobilization experience, including finance management.
- Excellent proven experience of managing and motivating staff and/or volunteers, including experience of successfully developing a network of remote resource mobilization supporters.
- Leading and Managing - Competence evidenced by the ability to inspire, enthuse and communicate, delegating supporting, coaching or directing as appropriate. Provides clarity and direction to the team. Is able to identify, address and solve performance issues with their team.
- Managing relationships - Competence demonstrated by an ability to understand and react appropriately to motivations that drive colleagues’ behaviour. Is sensitive to cultural differences and behaves appropriately within them. Understands how to develop productive working relationships.
- Self motivation - Competence demonstrated by the level of timeliness and accuracy the individual displays in carrying out their role, by their personal energy and enthusiasm and by their willingness to learn to exceed expectations in their role.
- Planning and organization - Competence demonstrated by the ability to process requirements of role effectively. Is able to gather and use resources effectively. Can prioritize workload appropriately and are able to review and amend priorities and actions as and when required.
Education and Experience:
- Masters degree in relevant discipline.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience of unrestricted resource mobilization at strategic level.
- At least 5 years of experience in leading and managing a team.
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundraising systems and processes.
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should send their applications to the address below on or before 2nd September 2016.
Kenya Red Cross Society
P.O. Box 40712-00100,
Applications should have a cover letter, curriculum vitae, names and contacts of three referees.