Terre des hommes Foundation is the leading Swiss child relief agency, improving the lives of millions of the world's most vulnerable children.
To support the development of its Health and Nutrition Project in Kenya, Garissa County, Tdh is currently seeking Kenyan qualified candidate for the below position:
Health and Nutrition Project Manager
Health and Nutrition Project Manager
Reporting to: Country Representative
Duty station: Garissa, Garissa County
Contract duration: 1 year with possibility of extension to end of project
The Health and Nutrition Project Manager will be responsible for the management, delivery and expansion of a quality health and nutrition programme in Garissa County, with a focus on the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the existing nutrition intervention in Garissa County, in adherence with Tdh’s and national protocols / guidelines, and in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health.
The incumbent will conduct his or her duties in respect of the Charter of Terre des hommes and the Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy.
1. Project Management
- Oversee all aspects of programming in Garissa County (excluding Dadaab refuge operations) in close collaboration with the respective project officers and Ministry of Health staff.
- Oversee the implementation of the Health and Nutrition project and ensure that stated goals and objectives are met, as per project planning document.
- Develop, design and produce appropriate and contextualized methodologies and resources materials for use by the project team.
- In collaboration with the rest of the Nutrition Project team, produce project implementation/work plans and ensure they are implemented effectively and timely.
- Organise and, where possible, co-facilitate training sessions to Ministry of Health (MoH) staff according to the IMAM, IYCF, IMCI, HINI national protocols, in order to improve the quality of the services delivered.
- Supervise the planning and implementation of the hygiene promotion activities.
- Constantly monitor the health and nutrition situation in the target and neighbouring areas and, in consultation with local health officials, provide advice on prioritisation of activities and additional actions that need to be taken to respond to the situation as part of Tdh intervention.
- Effectively manage project budget, procurement of nutrition supplies and other resources in line with Tdh’s policies and procedures to ensure efficiency, accountability and transparency.
- In collaboration with the Logistics, Administration & Finance Manager, forecast expenditures, track activities expenses, make recommendations on budget optimisation, and ensure that appropriate action is taken in a timely fashion.
- Check and validate requests for funds for team members based on available resources.
- Coordinate with the Logistics, Administration & Finance Manager and the Logistics Officer through purchase and budget follow up to ensure that the Health and Nutrition project receives adequate support and operate in line with Tdh’s and donors’ policies, procedures and standards.
- In collaboration with the Logistics Officer, validate the movement of the vehicle assigned to the project.
2. Project Quality Assurance
- Ensure that the quality and coverage of the nutrition project, at community and facility level, meets international and national standards and internal and external recommendations.
- Ensure effective supervisory mechanisms are in place and identify indicators which properly reflect project activities and realities of Garissa County context.
- Produce programme data on key nutrition indicators (which may include IMAM performance, programme coverage, community participation, health & nutrition knowledge and practice, and quality of service delivery) and ensure it is collected, analyzed, reviewed and responded to on an ongoing basis – as may be feasible and realistic given operating context.
3. Project Strategy and Development
- Assess Tdh’s capacity and work closely with the Country Representative on the needs of the population and Tdh’s capacity to expand operations to Maternal and Child Health maintaining quality programming.
- Work in line with Tdh nutrition strategy, as defined in Tdh thematic policy and the project document.
- Identification of relevant experiences and lessons learnt among other partners.
- When deemed necessary, propose amendments to the nutrition strategy, in consultation with the Country Representative.
- Participate in the elaboration of the 2016 strategy and provide technical assistance and lead on project design and proposal and budget preparation for institutional and private donors, to meet identified needs and strengthen local capacities within the sector.
- Identify potential local/national partnerships.
4. Human Resources Management
- In collaboration with the Logistics, Administration & Finance Manager and under the supervision of the Country Representative, ensure compliance with the requirements of Kenyan labour law.
- Lead and manage staff, encouraging effective team work and providing supervision and guidance, especially on issues related to cross-sectorial collaboration, and harmonizing approaches.
- In collaboration with the Logistics, Administration & Finance Manager and under the supervision of the Country Representative, assure the planning of annual leave.
- Ensure regular performance appraisals of directly supervised staff, encourage personal development plans, and assist in the identification of training needs.
- Organize, maintain, and support a ‘back up’ system for key Tdh staff for coverage during work absences.
- Participate, oversee and supervise the recruitment, selection, and training of project staff and ensure those actions are carried out in compliance with applicable Tdh polices & local legislation.
- Work in close collaboration and consultation with the MoH, other health and nutrition stakeholders and other government counterparts and ensure the regular exchange of information on project achievements and challenges.
- Ensure detailed procurement plans and quantities and specification for all required nutrition materials are specified well in advance and ongoing liaison with logistics and other relevant staff taking place to ensure appropriate supplies and materials delivered effectively and in a timely manner.
- Work with all relevant authorities at the sub-county and community level (civil, religious, and all other services) to improve implementation, acceptance and ownership.
- Ensure an optimal level of communication with UNICEF Nutrition focal point in Garissa County.
- Create the conditions for a good flow of operational information within the team and with the senior management.
- Disseminate technical reports to the project team and the local counterparts.
- Act as Tdh Kenya’s representative in Garissa county (excluding Dadaab refuge operations); duly delegate as appropriate
- Report representation and coordination activities and recommendations to the Country Representative
- Prepare and submit a monthly report on the activities implemented, in line with the project log- frame and the work plan, using agreed format and including pictures and videos to promote the work of Tdh.
- Using field perspective, integrate context assessment of Garissa County into reporting and communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition/Nursing/Public Health (minimum of 5 years’ experience in Health and Nutrition Programming with focus on Health systems strengthening).
- Previous experience in providing health system strengthening to MoH, NGO and/or other desirable organization.
- Strong representation skills at the County level with sound orientation of MoH systems in Kenya.
- Familiarity of implementation of UNICEF funded projects under the new PCS guidelines is an added advantage.
- Team management experience.
- Excellent Communication skills, (Project reporting and evaluation experience).
- Strong training experience required.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili. Ability to communicate in Somali is a plus.
- Good computer skills: MS Word and Excel.
Interested candidates that fit the above requirements are requested to submit a covering letter & CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2nd July 2016 stating their daytime telephone contacts and addresses of three referees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse. Tdh is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.