Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Position: Field Officer - Aspirations Project(Multiple positions)
Deadline to Apply: 16th December, 2016
Start Date: 4th January, 2017
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
Duration: 2 months
In close partnership with decision makers, the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world -- IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the project: Development assistance tends to focus on the ‘external’ constraints that poor people face while largely ignoring ‘internal’ ones.
However, social psychology suggests that poor people’s sense of self-efficacy and control may be beaten down by the nature of living in poverty, limiting the options they consider.
The project aims to do a randomized controlled trial to examine the combined effect of lifting external and internal constraints simultaneously, providing a cash transfer and an intervention to boost poor people’s sense of self-efficacy and alter their understanding of their opportunities, encouraging poor people to set and pursue their own goals without directing their choices.
The research will test if a brief, standardized psychological intervention can alter psychological outcomes and future-oriented behaviors in a developing country and examine if such interventions can enhance the already-known benefits of cash transfers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrive at work on time
- Assist with data entry in the office
- Complete scheduled activities each day in a timely manner
- Demonstrate integrity and understanding during interaction with community members and partner organization staff
- On non-field days, perform office duties with care
- Assist in daily survey organization and storage
- Ensure data integrity is maintained at all times and minimize errors in data collection
- Administer household surveys
- Provide the FM with daily feedback regarding surveying activities
Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, Kiswahili and Luo.
- Experience with data collection through market surveys, household surveys, academic tests, exit interviews, focus groups or observations
- Ability to recognize when questions are difficult or unclear to subjects
- Excellent note taking ability during interviews
- Comfortable with interviewing individuals within their homes
- Basic computer knowledge and skills (mandatory)
- Ability to comfortably work with groups and within groups
- Bachelors’ degree in social sciences, health and /or business administration
- Past experience in data collection
- Experience in data collection using SurveyCTO or Open Data Kit (ODK)
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
NB: Please do not apply if unavailable on the above specified start date.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer-Aspirations Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.