Stockholm Environment Institute
Senior Project Manager – Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA) (Nairobi)
Duration: 3 years to Dec 2019 (6 months’ probation period); contract subject to extension by the funder in Oct 2017 based on satisfactory project performance
Salary range: Competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience
Start date: February 2017
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Application deadline: 4 December 2016
Open to: Applicants worldwide
Background: SEI’s Africa Centre seeks a Senior Project Manager during the 3-year period of support provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to further develop the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA), a global knowledge management platform: www.susana.org and www.forum.susana.org
The successful candidate will lead the consortium, report to the SEI Africa Centre Director for local operations and liaise with the SuSanA project team at SEI Stockholm.
Eligibility: This position is open to candidates from the global South (Africa, Latin America and Asia). i.e. the majority of worktime and personal life in one or more developing countries.
About the SuSanA project: This knowledge management platform development project is led by Stockholm Environment Institute and implemented by a consortium that includes the German International Development Cooperation Agency (GIZ), WaterAid and Oxfam, as well as specialized additional consultants.
The project will have three key outcomes:
· Improved use of SuSanA Platform by identified target groups, through a clear communications plan and platform improvements;
· Demonstrable improvements in the impact that use of the SuSanA Platform has on members’ work in sanitation;
· Strengthened governance and institutional sustainability of SuSanA as reflected in an operational plan that includes a plan for funding the budget needed to assure the future of SuSanA.
· Project leadership and operational responsibility;
· Frequent internal communications and meetings within the consortium to monitor progress and to steer the project – following work plans for each consortium member;
· Day to day Project Management assisted by SEI employees;
· Assistance in writing of the Communications Strategy and Implementation Plan;
· Assistance in implementation of the above plan;
· Liaison with the SuSanA secretariat (along with the Project Senior Advisor);
· Strategic outreach with SuSanA partners to build linkages and collaborations (in a chosen region eg East Africa);
· Building of alliances with future funding sources for SuSanA;
· Co-chair of the Project Advisory Board (alongside co-chair SuSanA Secretariat);
· Representation of the project to provide senior and high profile exposure targeted according to the Communications Strategy;
· Collaboration with the Secretariat in executing networking campaigns in the new SuSanA regional chapters (India and MENA); and
· Liaison with the Gates Foundation
· Masters or Ph.D. in sanitation or a related field (NOTE: a Master’s degree must be complemented by a minimum of five years of experience in a strong implementation, research or policy organization);
· Fluency in spoken and written English;
· Proven experience and dedicated interest in knowledge management and communications;
· Proven experience working in the thematic areas of sanitation, hygiene or water in the global South;
· Proven experience in policy-relevant and interdisciplinary research;
· Experience and proven ability to work in international, multi-disiplinary research teams;
· Proven track record of managing programmes;
· Knowledge and capability to analyse policies and programmes in the context of sanitation governance;
· Ability to prepare articles, policy briefs, working papers and other publications;
· Ability to coordinate workshops, manage publications and supervise interns;
· Ability to represent SEI at a senior level at formal meetings with partner organisations;
· Ability to work independently, without much instruction from the management, as well as being comfortable working in international teams in a virtual environment, both as team leader and as team member; and
· Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills for both technical and public audiences.
· Familiarity with SuSanA and other similar knowledge and communities of practice;
· Fluency or working ability in French, Spanish and/or other relevant languages;
· Experience liaising with funding agencies;
· Experience in capacity-building activities;
· Track record of publications on sanitation, hygiene and/or water issues in peer-reviewed journals and/or scientific reports; and
· Comfortable with detailed analysis and fieldwork to support research.
Inquiries concerning the content of the position can be directed to Kim Andersson ( email@example.com) or or Stacey Noel, SEI Africa Centre Director ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
How to apply
Please CLICK HERE to submit your applications online.
Applications sent via e-mail will not be accepted.
Applications must be written in English and arrive at SEI as soon as possible but no later than the 4th of December, 2016.Attachments must be in PDF or Word format and should consist of a cover letter (maximum 1 page) and a CV.