Job Title: Officer, Communications
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Starting Salary (Gross): Kshs. 108,000
Reports to: Manager, Communications
Supervision Given: [None]
RefugePoint was founded in 2005 to provide lasting solutions for the world’s most vulnerable refugees.
The Communications Officer supports RefugePoint’s external relations activities by serving as a liaison between the Nairobi Urban Refugee Protection Program and the organization’s headquarters in the United States.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
Writing and general communications
· Cultivate stories and draft content for various RefugePoint publications, including newsletters, grant proposals, and special reports.
· The Communications Associate will be responsible for producing content from start to finish: from setting up interviews with other RefugePoint team members and clients, traveling into the field on a weekly basis, developing interview questions, interviewing clients to collect stories, writing final stories using quotes/audio/notes taken and submitting finalized work, with photos (sometimes video) to the Communications Manager.
· Maintain strong relationships with all Nairobi teams (medical, social work, livelihoods, counseling, etc) and check in on a weekly basis for story leads, suggestions.
· Research, draft, and update information related to Nairobi’s refugee population, including cultural profiles for new arrivals and/or changes within existing refugee communities.
· Respond to immediate requests from headquarters for updates on programs, clients, or events.
· Track refugee resettlement departures and update headquarters regularly. Track refugees post-departure, and set up systems to put this into place.
· As needed, help with the printing of T-shirts and other collateral.
Social media and website support
· Support the Communications Manager in developing content for RefugePoint’s web and social media platforms.
· Provide assistance managing and evaluating social media platforms as requested, in particular internal platforms for staff communication.
· Conduct media monitoring on issues related specifically to urban refugee protection and alert headquarters to relevant stories.
· Update the internal staff website with new content, especially new staff bios and stories of interest, photos from RP events, etc.
· Draft Quarterly internal newsletter with pertinent updates for HQ, Nairobi and Expert staff.
Video and Photography
· Photograph images of clients, programs, and the environment in Nairobi for RefugePoint’s publications, website, and social media.
· Film, or arrange for videographers to film, material for RefugePoint’s audio/visual needs.
· Organize and manage Nairobi’s image library, ensuring that all releases are signed and accessible.
Event Management and Training
· Assist with coordinating RefugePoint events in Nairobi, including trainings, conferences, community working groups, and fundraising forums.
· Lead internal communications trainings and motivate staff to engage in external relations activities, including sharing stories and highlights from their departments.
· Orient newly hired regional and local staff to RefugePoint’s external relations policies.
· As needed, coordinate focus groups to support RefugePoint’s operations team.
· A strong interest in the mission of RefugePoint and refugee protection.
· Excellent writing skills (in English) are imperative to this position. Writing with a US-based population in mind will be required.
· Excellent interviewing skills, and communication skills in speaking, transcribing, contacting and following up with refugee clients.
· Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field (communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, etc). Degrees in human rights or international affairs will also be considered.
· A minimum of three years of experience in a related communications position.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (English fluency required).
· Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills, especially geared towards a US based audience.
· Experience with popular social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc).
· Applicants with photography and/or videography skills preferred. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite software is also a plus.
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively. Candidate will need to be a self-starter, someone who can manage their time and tasks independently and responsibly.
· Respect for individuals regardless of their race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age or legal status.
· A sense of humor, patience and diplomacy.
· Must be legally able to live and work in Kenya.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Closing Date: 29 November 2016 1400hrs (EAT)