Karatina University wishes to recruit qualified and interested applicants for the positions of Senior Assistant Student Counselor grade 11 and Librarian I / Systems Librarian I grade as described below:
Job Title: Senior Assistant Students Counselor
Work at this level entails
- providing individual and group counseling services;
- Assisting with orientation of new students;
- Providing family life education in conjunction with the Health Unit;
- assisting disadvantaged groups in collaboration with relevant service department;
- Liaising with the Wardens in counseling and advising students on personal and social matters within the halls of residence and
- any other duties as may be assigned by a senior officer.
Requirements for appointment
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must have:
1. Masters Degree in a relevant field from a recognized Institution.
2. At least four (4) years relevant work experience
3. Knowledge in information communication technology
4. Membership registration with a relevant professional body
Job Title: Librarian I / Systems Librarian I
Work at this level entails management of library and information resources, abstracting and indexing; stock editing; library promotion and use; teaching and conducting research in library and information skills; supervision, staff development and capacity building.
In addition provide electronic information and any other duties as may be assigned by a senior officer.
Job Specification / Requirements for Direct Appointment
For direct appointment to this grade, a candidate must have:-
i) Bachelors Degree in the relevant field from a recognized institution;
ii) At least seven (7) years relevant work experience.
iii) Good knowledge of Information Communication Technology and specifically:
- Linux system administration skills including basic permission schemes, OpeSSH configuration and usage and system backups.
- Be able to install, configure, update and customize library open source software
- Knowledge of Dspace, KOHA, EZ-proxy and other library software
- Basic software configuration skills and knowledge of XML and SKL be able to create and use basic relation models in MySQL/ PostgresSQL.
- Knowledge of Perl, Python, PHP and java to customize applications in open source languages.
- Basic understanding of MARC format and how it relates to cataloguing standards, especially MARC21 and RDF.
- Be able to use perl + MARC
iv) Membership registration to a relevant professional body.
v) Masters Degree is an added advantage
Terms and Conditions of Service: The successful candidates will be offered a competitive remuneration package in accordance with the existing Terms and Conditions of Service.
Mode of Application
Applicants must submit two (2) copies of applications giving details of their educational and professional qualifications, age, detailed work experience, present, post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address.
Enclose certified copies of certificates and testimonials and giving names and addresses of three (3) referees who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s competence and area of specialization, accompanied with detailed Curriculum Vitae and a copy of the most recent pay slip.
In addition, applicants should request their referees to write directly to the undersigned, in separate sealed envelopes.
Interested applicants should send the applications to the address below, quoting the relevant reference number, so as to be received on or before Friday, 4th November, 2016.
The Vice Chancellor
P.O. Box 1957- 10101
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.