Kenya Industrial Property Institute (KIPI) is a body Corporate in the Ministry of Industry, Investment and Trade established under the Industrial Property Act, 2001.
It is mandated to register / grant industrial property rights, screen technology transfer agreements and licences, provide to the public, industrial property information for technological and economic development, and promote inventive and innovative activities in Kenya.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons with excellent academic credentials to fill the position of Managing Director.
The term of employment is a 3 Year Contract, renewable once, based on performance.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Providing strategic leadership and ensuring proper day to day management of the Institute;
- Ensuring implementation of KIPI’s programmes, project and activities;
- Implementing Board policies and decisions;
- Ensuring registration of patents, industrial designs, utility models, trade and service marks is done effectively and efficiently;
- Implementing the Performance Contract signed between the Board and the Government;
- Implementing the provisions of the Industrial Property Act, 2001 and the Trade Marks Act, Cap 506;
- Preparing and co-ordinating business related proposals, reports and other submissions for consideration by the Board;
- Implementing the relevant local, regional and international agreements to which Kenya is a party;
- Ensuring proper management and control of the KIPI’s financial and non-financial resources in an efficient and cost effective manner in consultation with the Board, parent Ministry and all the relevant Government agencies and stakeholders;
- Serving as Secretary to the Board;
- Carrying out other responsibilities necessary for the achievement of the KIPI’s objectives;
- Advising the Board on matters related to the implementation of the business of the Institute; and
- Carrying out any other function as directed by the Board from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
The Institute is looking for a suitable Kenyan Citizen who meets the following qualifications:
- a university degree in Law, Science, Information Technology or Business Administration from a recognized university;
- a Master’s degree in Intellectual Property, Law, Science, Information Technology or Business Administration from a recognized university will be an added advantage;
- at least Seven (7) years working experience in matters relating to industrial property;
- served at top management position for a minimum period of five (5) years;
- undergone senior management training for a minimum period of four (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
- clear understanding of the role of industrial property rights in Kenya’s socioeconomic development; and
- be computer competent.
Skills and Competencies
The ideal candidate should:
- Be a person of high integrity;
- Be a team player;
- Be a strategic thinker;
- Have excellent communication skills; and
- Have excellent interpersonal relationships.
Applicants must also submit clearance certificates from:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Criminal Investigations Department (Certificate of Good Conduct); and
- Credit Reference Bureau.
Remuneration: The successful candidate shall be competitively remunerated in accordance with the prevailing guidelines for remuneration of Officers serving in State Corporations.
Applicants should attach a detailed CV, and copies of identification documents, relevant certificates and testimonials in electronic or hard copies, and quoting the reference number both on the envelope and in the application, to reach KIPI on or before 18th August 2016.
Please note that this information is also available on KIPI’s website:www.kipi.go.ke
All applications should be clearly marked Application for the Position of Managing Director and submitted as follows:
Applications in hard copy through Post Office should be addressed as registered mail to:
KIPI Board of Directors
P.O. Box 51648-00200
KIPI Board of Directors
P.O. Box 51648-00200
OR hand delivered to the Kenya Industrial Property Institute, Weights and Measures Premises, South C, Popo Road, off Mombasa Road, Block B Ground Floor in a Box Marked “recruitment of KIPI MD”.
Electronic copies should be sent to email@example.com indicating the reference number.
KIPI is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: Persons who responded to the earlier advertisement need not re-apply.