International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Position Title: Customer Care Assistant
Vacancy No: IOMKE/SVN/086/2016
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G3
Type of Appointment: 6 Months Special Short Term Contract, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 29 November, 2016
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context: Under the overall supervision of the Head of the IOM Migration Health Assessment Center (MHAC) Nairobi and the direct supervision of the Migration Health Processing Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for performing routine administrative functions such as switchboard operations, handling inquiries and providing refugee/immigrant assistance as maybe necessary.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Operates the switchboard, places and receives telephone calls.
2. Provides accurate information and answers to telephone or walk-in queries from applicants regarding their schedules and directing them, as required.
3. Screens and ushers visitors and applicants.
4. Consults with the Data Processing Assistant and Nurses in order to obtain the necessary information and to accurately provide information and answers to customer queries.
5. Maintains confidentiality of health data and other personal information related to the migration health status of applicants.
6. Issues migration health appointments to applicants in accordance with the schedule provided by the Data Processing Assistant.
7. Ensures that reception area is well organized and presentable at all times.
8. Records and distributes incoming and outgoing correspondence/faxes.
9. Any other related duties, which may be assigned by the Migration Health Processing Officer.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Completed University degree in Business Management, Secretarial studies or other related studies with 1 year of relevant professional experience or;
· High School Certificate with 3 years of relevant professional experience.
· Previous customer service experience is desired.
· Minimum three years of relevant experience in private sector/UN agencies/NGOs/IOs;
· Previous work experience in a hospital setting/medical institution dealing with migrants is an added advantage.
· Ability to pay attention to details and work under pressure and meet deadlines with minimum supervision;
· Willingness to learn and be flexible with work hours.
· Strong communication, customer service and interpersonal relationship skills;
· High level of computer literacy, especially MS Word, Outlook, Excel and Access.
Languages: Excellent command of spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
· Accountability- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
· Client Orientation- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
· Continuous Learning- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
· Communication – Actively shares relevant information
· Creativity and Initiative – Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
· Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
· Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
· Professionalism – Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
· Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
· Technological Awareness – Learns about developments in available technology
· Resource Mobilization – Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs.
· Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level
· Maintain confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment (upon notification in writing to the candidate) and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to:
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
Human Resources Department,
send via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 29th November, 2016
Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.