Job Description: Senior Programme Officer – Fundraising and Compliance
Responsible to: Regional Director, Eastern Africa
Key Relationships: Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) focal points, Programme Officers
Contract: 1 year renewable
Working Hours: Full time (37.5 hours per week)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Role Purpose: The purpose of the role is to improve the financial sustainability of the organisation by developing and writing grant proposals to governments, multi-lateral organisations and foundations, identifying opportunities for the organisation to diversify its funding streams and increase its income capacity; and to ensure that the impact of ARTICLE 19 Eastern Africa’s work is identified, captured, shared, learned from and communicated to key internal and external stakeholders.
Also develop and implement monitoring and evaluation systems to effectively plan, implement, capture, analyse and report the impact of the organization’s programmatic work.
You will be required to work closely with programme managers to enhance our entire project planning cycle to improve the effectiveness and quality of our work and the production of timely and high quality evidence-based reporting.
This work will not only allow us to meet increasing donor demands, but also to provide key information that will enable us to make better informed resource decisions.
· Contribute to an organisational fundraising strategy for grant-based income to support the overall strategic aims and objectives of the organisation
· Based on the strategy, identify fundraising targets through prospect research and recommend potential funding opportunities.
· Develop and maintain good relationships with existing and potential foundations and funders.
· Work closely with the fundraising officer in London and program staff in to support the development of fundraising proposals in keeping with the overall strategy.
· Lead on the development and production of grant proposals in the regional Office; persuasively communicating the organisation’s mission and programs to potential funders;
· Coordinate with relevant staff all application activities, including planning, writing, document gathering, communications and final submissions
· Work with programmes and finance staff to develop accurate budget information for all proposal applications
· Manage final submission, ensuring that all required paperwork is fully compliant with applications requirements and is submitted in a timely manner
· Design and manage a database to ensure all contacts and submissions are fully documented for reference purposes
· Maintain a calendar to ensure timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposal deadlines, and reports
· Follow up on all application submissions and gather feedback so as to continuously improve the effectiveness of fundraising operations
· Ensure prompt acknowledgement of grants awarded or gifts to the organisation
Develop the M&E systems and lead in its implementation
· Develop a regional M&E system including a logical framework for the organisation.
· Lead the technical design of M&E methodologies and tools that allow accurate, reliable information to be collected and reported against
· Ensure that M&E tools and processes are understood and used consistently across the organisation and identify where changes of the current M&E practices might be needed
· Develop ToRs for M&E surveys, mid-term and final project evaluations and coordinate external evaluations
· Lead on the identification of case studies and lessons learned, and support the team to act upon these lessons and to share them with others both within and beyond Article 19
· Strengthen organisational planning to ensure that past project performance is considered as part of project design and delivery
· Ensure programmes and projects proposed are based on clear theories of change, draw upon the monitoring framework and reflect lessons learned
Lead in evidence collection, analysis and internal and external reporting
· Implement and maintain a quarterly reporting mechanism that serves organisational requirements for internal and external audiences
· Guide programme staff in preparing and analysing their quarterly reports and evidence collection
· Lead on reviewing, analysing and synthesising reports and monitoring evidence reported by all programmes on a quarterly basis
· Guide programme staff on linking results with activities, quality of evidence, project performance and recommendations for any adjustments or improvements
· Ensure information from reports and evidence are documented for reporting and learning
Produce the regional office’s annual report
· Lead the production of the annual report in collaboration with the Communications team at the International office.
· Conduct internal interviews and research related to the annual report to determine which objectives were met and what were the barriers to achieving objectives and goals
· Lead external research related to the annual report to find positive news stories about the organisation in collaboration with programme staff
· Write the annual report using gathered research, internal quarterly reports and project reports and ensure that reported facts are appropriately backed up by research and evidence
· Collaborate with the communications team to ensure that the annual report conveys the look, feel, tone and brand of the organisation
Education and Knowledge
· Masters Degree level or equivalent with post-graduate qualification in human rights, law, African studies, international relations, political science, media, communication, or other relevant field being an added advantage.
· Knowledge of human rights plus knowledge of key freedom of expression and information issues
· At least 3 years’ experience in the design or development of M&E methods and approaches within the INGO or NGO or similar sector
· Demonstrable knowledge of funding application processes and contracts management, funding streams and cycles, particularly for European Commission and donor governments such as Sweden, the UK, USA, Germany, Norway and the Netherlands
· Ability to work collaboratively, building relationships across the organisation and with external stakeholders
· Proven experience with logical framework approach using global indicators
· Proven experience with planning and implementation of M&E systems
· Proven experience of working with staff and partners to implement M&E and reporting systems
· Experience of managing evaluations in conjunction with field officers
· Proven experience of writing reports as a result of M&E processes, to both external and internal audiences
· Experience of synthesising, summarising and providing clear analysis of a complex
organisational reporting process
organisational reporting process
Skills, Experience and Abilities
· Experience securing funds from private foundations, government and multi-lateral funding sources (e.g. the European Commission and the United Nations)
· Demonstrable experience in proposal writing and development
· Experience of networking and relationship building with a wide range of donors
· Proven ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage conflicting priorities
· Proven ability to lead programmes of work with clear deadlines set to others within the organisation, and ability to motivate others to comply with deadlines
· Proven ability to work on own initiative and to play a leadership role within an organisation
· Proven ability to work under pressure and manage time effectively
· Knowledge of institutional donors
· Excellent written and spoken English
· Proven experience and ability of adapting writing in English for different audiences
· Excellent interpersonal communication and influencing skills, including ability to build relationships with wide range of people, both internally and externally
· Proven ability to work with others not fluent in English language
How to apply: –
Interested candidates should send a covering letter highlighting how they meet the person specification and a CV to: email@example.com
Closing date for receipt of applications: 14 December, 2016Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted