International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Finance Officer – Lodwar
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Job Purpose / Objective: The Finance Officer is responsible for finance management, budgeting, budget management, and compliance to internal control processes, systems, donor rules & regulations and statutory obligations.
· Budgeting, Reporting & Grant management
· Partnership / Sub-grant management
· Document review & control
· Bank & Cash management
Key Result Areas
· Ensure prompt settlements based on adequate standard documentation, manage advances & liquidation including that of fuel deposits, advice staff on proper accounting procedures; control field liquidity & oversee proper functioning of Lodwar Finance office
· Encourage spending per work plans, enforce accuracy of all transactions, actively participate in BVAs analysis, reviews, identifying variances and work together with program managers to generate comments for informed management decision, identify & correct erroneous postings, organize the same into journal forming part of field reports for monthly system update, compile and submit timely commitments for BVAs update.
· Besides preparation of Annual Operation & Planning Budgets, assists in monitoring operations budgetary allocations, identify areas of concern specifically in terms of rising costs, suggesting adaptive & enforceable causes of action, facilitate implementation of policies on accommodation, travel and transport & offer interactive support to operation’s in settling outstanding financial obligations.
· Undertake pre-assessment reviews to determine capacity needs of sub-grantees monitor sub-grant reporting and undertake verification of reported expenditure to ascertain whether such meet reasonable, allocable and allowable criteria; build partners staff capacity in documentation & recording of expenditure in journal format as and when they occur to enhance level of accountability & efficiency in reporting.
· Audit & ascertain reliability, accuracy and completeness of financial reports, observe deadlines for periodical submission of monthly finance reports, cash transfer requests & advice FPC on issues affecting field financial operations, consistently highlighting areas requiring support on procedures and control.
· Provide periodic finance training to program staff, sub-grantees and key stakeholders on compliance (Authority delegation, Authorization levels, internally enforceable procedures, and requirements for adequate standard documentation) & Budget Vs Actual management including application of account & T-codes on transaction processing.
· A bachelor’s degree in Finance/Business Administration with minimum CPA II qualification;
· Knowledge of fund accounting, procurement management of US and UN cooperative agreements,
· Microsoft Office software & SUN System accounting is an added advantage.
Required Experience & Competencies:
· At least three years of finance and accounting experience in a similar position.
· Experience in auditing, accounting/finance management
· Work in multi-cultural, multi-national context
· Work experience in conditions of low infrastructure, hardship & compromised security
Managerial and Technical Skills
· Supervisory responsibilities; ability to manage/administer a finance unit, rationalize work, delegate tasks, prepare and administer budgets & manage finance sector
· Apply advanced systems to simplify work and negotiate systems improvements,
· Propose solutions to make best use of staff and financial resources
· Analytical/Communication/inter-personal skills, negotiation
· Ability to train and educate other people
· Ability to work independently in a rapidly changing professional environment; build teams with desired level of flexibility to ensure efficient, effective & optimal application of resources.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply.
International allowances are not available for this position.
Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Talent Acquisitions at IRC.Recruitment@rescue.org. As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.Disclaimer: Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.