Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Job Title: Senior Field Officer - Contract Farming Recruitment Project (CFR)
Start Date: 10th January, 2017
Start Date: 10th January, 2017
Reporting To: Field Manager
Length of Commitment: 3 months
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the project: Contractual arrangements is often considered an important driver of structural transformation and growth.
In the developing world, including Sub-Saharan Africa, contract farming is one of the most common contractual forms through which this transition occurs.
The Contract Farming Recruitment (CFR) Project aims to evaluate the impact of contract farming on small holders and to test the relative merits of various organizational forms of cane production.
In order to achieve this; we will randomly allocate the Mumias Sugar Company outgrowers contract across recruited fields in the Gem region, and to measure the impact both in terms of productivity (i.e. yields) and in terms of farmer welfare measures including income, expenditure, overall farm and non-farm activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise field officers conducting interviews and provide feedback to the field officers and the Field Manager.
- Coordinating with the field officers for the scheduling of the respondents for data collection activities.
- Assist in data collection as and when required.
- Assist in the management of data collection activities; collection of data from field officers on a daily basis and turning over data to the data officer.
- Providing the Field Manager /Research Associate with daily feedback regarding surveying activities and any occurrences in the field.
- Recruitment of farmers into the Mumias Sugar Outgrower Scheme
- Assist to manage the following Mumias Sugar Activities in the Gem area;
1. Land acquisition
2. Land preparation
3. Input supply
4. Cane planting and husbandry to ensure adequate cane availability to meet factory requirements at all times and farmer satisfactory returns.
5. Assist to liaise with internal and external service providers to ensure farmers get timely , adequate and quality services in order to achieve sustainable returns from cane business at all times
6. Ensure 80 % farmer satisfaction
- Bachelor’s degree or college Diploma in any Agricultural related course
- Diploma with 3 years’ experience in data collection
- Experience in data collection using SurveyCTO or ODK
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
How to Apply
To Apply CLICK HERE
Deadline to Apply: 23rd December, 2016
NB: Please do not apply if unavailable on the above specified start date.Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior Field Officer – Contract Farming Recruitment Project- CFR. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.