Job Title: Kenya Field Manager
Our client is a non-profit organization (NGO) operating in Kenya and Uganda that aims to help people living in extreme poverty by making unconditional cash transfers to them via mobile phone.
They are seeking to recruit a dynamic, result oriented and highly motivated Field Manager to be based in Kenya.
Overview: The Field Manager (“FM”) will play a central role in ensuring that the NGO delivers a gold-standard product to donors and recipients.
The Field Manager will own the overall enrollment process, including tracking performance of field teams; achieving targets; building a culture of mentorship and professional development; and identifying opportunities for risk mitigation and process improvement.
The Field Manager will serve as the key “eyes and ears” resource on the ground for the Field Director and will be responsible for regularly synthesizing updates on operational health.
The role will reward exceptional personnel management, organizational skills, high-quality judgment on operational challenges, and a strong commitment towards building a scalable and better-leveraged field org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Workflow management / tracking
- Create work-plans for field teams in collaboration with Associate Field Managers
- Review weekly reports to track productivity and quality of service; own course correction if metrics are slipping
- Formulate a plan for targeted monitoring/engagement while in the field
- Reduce dependence on senior management and create more leverage for Field Director through capacity-building and delegation
- Identify gaps in org chart and propose solutions to Field Director
- Run performance reviews for direct reports and build their capacity to do the same for Field Officers
Risk management and process improvement
- Anticipate areas of risk and create mitigation plans (e.g. coordination on complex research partnership, political instability, slow-downs from pilots, etc.)
- Assist Field Director with response to “crisis” events (e.g. refusals, government shut-down, coordinated fraud, etc.)
- Serve as the organization’s engine for continuous improvement of the enrollment process and recipient experience by identifying key opportunities and executing on various initiatives
Support for auxiliary projects
- Assist Field / Country Director with communicating and executing new projects / pilots / technologies (e.g. messaging Segovia to field team, brainstorming options for community-based targeting, rolling out mobile app questions, etc.)
- Assist Field / Country Director with hosting journalists, donors, and other external parties
- Meet with local government officials to secure permission for GD to operate and keep them informed about GD’s activities
- Liaise with community leaders (e.g. church, business and local NGO leaders) to problem-solve issues that arise in the field (e.g., refusals and false rumors)
Team-building / morale
- Monitor team dynamics and own follow-up on barometer activities
- Identify opportunities for morale-building (e.g. retreats, team events, incentive schemes, etc.)
- Must have at least 2-3 years of management experience, preferably managing managers
- Must have undergraduate degree. Post graduate degree is an added advantage
- Exceptional leadership ability with demonstrated success in motivating and developing junior staff
- Exceptional ability to problem-solve complex operational challenges in the field
- Strong interest in shaping the field organization, including through revamping of current structures/processes
- Strong attention to detail
- Excitement about owning challenging management tasks, including mentoring and motivating direct reports and the broader field team
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly independent and self-directed manner, while effectively communicating upwardly about gaps and risks
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills and the ability to represent the organization effectively to external parties
- Strong analytical and technical skills, including a high level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Sense of humor and positive attitude
Our client takes their commitment to continuous improvement, quality and customer service very seriously, so you will be expected to deploy high levels of professionalism, be innovative and meet set targets and goals.
If you are the candidate we are looking for, please apply on or before 15th December 2016.Please send an email application attaching your Curriculum Vitae/Resume only (no scanned certificates) and clearly indicate your current and expected salary to firstname.lastname@example.org