International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Position Title: Program Assistant (Data Analyst and Reporting)
Vacancy No: IOMRONBO/SVN/001/2016
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment: Special Short Term Contract (9 Months, with possibility of extension)
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: November 27, 2016
It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context: Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director and the Head of IOM Kenya Country office, and the direct supervision of the Regional Mixed Migration Project Coordinator, the incumbent will assist in the implementation of activities of the regional Mixed Migration Programme, and serve as focal point for reporting, administration, and finance.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Assist in the technical and administrative implementation of the Mixed Migration Programme;
2. Provide support for the overall management and administration of the mixed migration programme including: awareness raising, outreach, advocacy, capacity building and regional cooperation finances, data, and progress reports;
3. Maintain the project-related correspondence and progress, technical reports, visibility and communication material and other relevant background documents;
4. Maintain updates and compiles project documentation, including payment request and similar routine project documentation both for the project and to assist the Project Officer in the commission of their duties;
5. Establish linkages and liaison with partner agencies and ministries, relevant to the project as directed;
6. Organize and arrange regional conferences and/or training sessions related to mixed migration;
7. Prepare progress reports including financial reports on projects activities;
8. Monitor status of project, compile, summarize and present information/data on activities and produce reports on a regular basis;
9. Assist in maintaining project administration systems as established by the project officer, including support to field-based staff with administrative / finance / logistical matters;
10. Arrange departmental meetings, taking minutes in meetings and provide relevant documentation for the meetings;
11. Prepare Travel Authorisations (TA)and follow up requests for security clearance for the MM staff and external consultants as required;
12. Follow up and/or prepare payment requests and purchase requisition forms (PRFs) for authorization and coordinate/follow up with COS and finance for payments;
13. Ensures and maintain log book for timely dispatch of Payment Requests and Purchase requisitions form(PRFs) as directed;
14. Request for project materials and equipment and follow up with the procurement office for delivery and ensure dispatch as required;
15. Assist in the preparation of monthly reports financial and narrative;
16. Support the development of data collection tools and methodologies;
17. Design specific questionnaires for mixed migration research topics and issues;
18. In collaboration with others, support the Migration Response Center Data Collection System.
19. Identify, acquire, load, clean and manage data through tailored spreadsheets, templates and databases including monitoring of the registration database;
20. Analyse and resolve instances of data duplication or error;
21. Transform, validate, and model data with the purpose of understanding the data best suited to address given questions;
22. Explore and apply new data visualization techniques to increase insight and visibility to data trends and associated policy-related opportunities, challenges and priorities;
23. Develop comparatives graphs and reports informing OCVP comparative reports and trend analysis;
24. Perform any other related task as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· First level Degree or Diploma in IT, Business Administration.
· Minimum four (4) years of experience in related field
· Previous work experience with an International Organization and NGOs dealing with refugees would be a strong advantage.
· Strong communication, organizational and interpersonal relationship skills;
· Hard working, good team player, dedicated, ability to monitor and follow up pending matters
· Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure with minimum supervision
· IOM Functional competencies required: effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative analytical thinker.
· Active learner, team player and cross cultural facilitator
· Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office and internet applications, Microsoft Outlook, Access and PowerPoint
· Advanced knowledge of mobile data collection especially ODK and KOBO
· Experience in using software programs such as Excel, STATA, SPSS and SAS for data analysis;
· Basic knowledge of GIS tools and relational databases( e.g. SQL Server-Spatial);
· Previous experience in relevant profession such as public information, administration, logistics, or project administration preferred.
· Previous experience with UN and International Agencies, International and Local NGOs preferred.
· Strong knowledge of computer applications, especially MS Word, Excel, Outlook and Access.
· Excellent command of spoken and written English and Kiswahili.
· Knowledge of French and/or Arabic or Somalia is an advantage
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
· Accountability- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
· Client Orientation- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
· Continuous Learning- Contributes to colleagues’ learning
· Communication – Actively shares relevant information
· Creativity and Initiative – Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
· Leadership and Negotiation – Convinces others to share resources
· Performance Management – Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
· Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
· Professionalism – Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
· Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
· Technological Awareness – Learns about developments in available technology
· Resource Mobilization – Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to:
Regional Office of the International Organization for Migration (IOM), Nairobi,
Human Resources Department,
send via e-mail to email@example.com
Closing Date: 27 November, 2016
Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.