International Rescue Committee
Governance & Rights Coordinator (Somalia Country Program)
Sector: Governance & Rights
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Background: The IRC has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities.
The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgaduud regions), Mogadishu and Puntland regions implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH, Governance, protection and primary health reaching out to more than 250,000 conflict and drought affected Somalis.
The position reports to the Deputy Director of Programs and will lead the Governance and Rights programs.
The position will particularly ensure implementation of USAID Conflict Mitigation and Management project as well as designing and overseeing programs focusing on community based planning and activity implementation, mainstreaming governance approaches in other sectors and peace building.
The coordinator will work closely with other sector coordinators within the country program, field teams and the IRC technical units focused on Governance and IRC Power Outcome to coordinate technical input and oversight of program activities.
The position holder must spend at least 50% of his/ her time inside Somalia supporting programs and teams at field sites.
Job Description / Responsibilities
Program development and management
· Work with the Deputy-Director for Programs (DDP), Grant and Fund raising Coordinator, sector coordinators, Governance technical advisers and field staff to design, implement and review governance programming approaches and strategies for the IRC Somalia program
· Contribute to the development and implementation of the Country Strategic Action Plan and the Outcome and Evidence Framework for Somalia through committed investment in achievement of the plan objectives, meeting milestones and regular review of plans
· Lead and oversee proposals development within the Governance sector, support program development within other sectors pertaining to mainstreaming of governance approaches
· Oversee the implementation of all governance programming activities according to implementing strategies, procedures, work plans as well as donor requirements in order to achieve project deliverables.
· Work with sector coordinators to ensure that approaches such as Do No Harm, Conflict Sensitive Analysis, Social Network Analysis and Power Analysis are integrated to inform project design and implementation within all sectors.
· Promote coordination and cooperation, joint action and sharing of good practices and lessons learned between partner organizations and institutions.
Program monitoring and evaluation
· With the M and E manger, oversee the development and use of quality monitoring information systems, and impact evaluation tools. Ensure that the data produced is used to inform decision-making and improve program quality
· Monitor program implementation against work plans and overall project objectives, documenting progress and achievements
· Ensure that program team are regularly using the monitoring for action tools and standards as well Comprehensive Online Measurement Effectiveness Tools (COMET) system.
· Ensure effective and high quality reporting, monitoring and evaluation systems for both internal and external use capturing best practices to support program decision-making
· Conduct donor reporting, as required, in coordination with other Grants team, Outcome Area Leads, Program Coordinators, M and E manger and the DDP
· Lead in collaboration with REL Unit and the M&E advisor and lead the program impact evaluation in the Governance related Outcome Areas.
Finance and Grants Management
· Conduct with the Governance & Rights team regular budget versus actual (BVA) analysis;
· Assist in the development and realignment program budgets in collaboration with Finance Controller
· Ensure the proper management of program budget with respect to IRC and donors procedures, policies and requirements
· Ensure the implementation of project activities in line with approved budgets and spending plans
Representation, Coordination and Advocacy
· Network and partner with the relevant local authorities within Somalia, local NGOs, donors, other INGOs and UN bodies on relevant technical issues and develop effective partnerships
· Identify opportunities for funding for concepts and ideas developed by the IRC and partners
· Represent IRC in external coordination meetings with UN/ NGOs, donors, partners and government in Nairobi and within Somalia
· Develop and maintain internal and external relationships, and network to promote program linkages; working with the IRC technical unit and participation in the sector coordination
Human Resource Management
· Line manage program manager(s) and oversee staff (officers and assistant officers) within the governance sector
· Recruit, orient and manage sector staff, creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes high performance, teamwork, trust, mutual respect, and empowers staff to take responsibility
· Provide technical performance management (setting of objectives, appraisals and development plans) for staff and develop a capacity building plan for staff working on Governance related programs.
· Lead capacity building activities for staff on governance within other sectors.
Position and person requirements
· Master’s degree or equivalent in public administration, economics, political science or a related technical field
· Prior experience (minimum 5 years) in governance, protection, women’s protection sectors in a relevant management/ advisory role.
· Experience in community development, governance mainstreaming and/or (local) institutional strengthening strongly desired
· Experience in program design, technical writing and budget development and management. Project management experience in post-conflict context an advantage
· Practical experience working on institutional capacity assessments, analysis of results, and recommendations for appropriate interventions
· A strong understanding of structures and management systems within service delivery sectors
· Demonstrated ability for rapid analysis of very complex issues, strong decision-making, and translation of programmatic priorities into operational strategies
· Strong skills in higher level program monitoring approaches including use of systematic evaluation tools
· Skills in communicating, knowledge-sharing and coordinating across sectors and work with consortiums
· Knowledge of local governance in protracted and post-conflict contexts, and of gender and inclusion strategies
· Must be comfortable working as part of a larger team in a complex, fluid and demanding management environment
· Motivation and drive to develop and grow the sector within the country program
· Willingness to live most of the time and travel within Somalia for designing and monitoring programs, staff interactions, and meeting with relevant stakeholders
· Fluent in English. Working knowledge of Somali a distinct advantage
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time.
Please contact Talent Acquisitions at IRC.Recruitment@rescue.org.As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.