Aga Khan Foundation, East Africa
Employment Opportunity: Project Director
Do you want to be part of a robust effort to strengthen education systems in East Africa?
Are you a relationship builder with the maturity to lead a consortium of actors in education?
The Strengthening Education Systems in East Africa (SESEA) is a five-year 31.8 M Canadian Dollar project co-funded by Global Affairs Canada and AKF Canada that aims to sustainably improve learning outcomes, with a particular focus on literacy and numeracy, for pre-primary and primary students in target areas of Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
This position will be based in Nairobi and will report to the Regional Programme Director.
AKF is part of the broader Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN). a group of development agencies that work primarily in the poorest parts of Africa and Asia with mandates that include the environment, health, education, architecture, culture, microfinance, rural development, disaster reduction, promotion of private-sector enterprise and the revitalisation of historic cities.
AKF works in collaboration with other agencies and partners outside the AKDN to develop and promote innovative solutions that contribute to improving the quality of life in East Africa.
Acting as the strategic lead in coordinating SESEA, the Project Director will directly manage a Project Coordination Unit (PCU) which acts as a secretariat of the AKDN consortium in fulfilling the following:
- Coordinate all project planning, budgeting, implementation and reporting processes
- Manage, appraise, guide and motivate a team of 8 PCU staff
- Build direct and maintain cross-agency relationships with AKDN agencies implementing SESEA
- Act as the focal point for coordination among agencies implementing the project, ensuring excellent inter-agency communication and joint implementation
- Build relationships with relevant government ministries and other stakeholders to engage them on key education issues.
- Ensure the PCU assesses, analyses, synthesizes and articulates lessons learnt, challenges, and risks emerging from the project and feeds these back into project planning and implementation
- Ensure PCU fulfills its function as the secretariat to SESEA governance bodies by overseeing coordination, collaboration, compliance, capacity-building and timely feedback.
- Oversee the roll out of the end-line survey, as well as other Monitoring and Evaluation activities
- Oversee the implementation and dissemination of SESEA’s research, learning and policy dialogue agenda
- Leading the process of developing a follow on version of the project (SESEA II)
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduate degree in education, international development, or social sciences
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in a similar position with a project of similar scope and complexity, preferably in the education sector
- Experience with results-based management, grant management, financial management, project development and donor requirements and reporting processes
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team of individuals
- Diplomacy and excellent communication skills required
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English and superior analytical, organizational, interpersonal, negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Experience in East Africa within a development context is desirable
- Experience with Canadian International Development Agency and other bilateral donors is desirable
How to Apply:
Candidates interested in this exciting career opportunity with AKF should submit a cover letter, CV and the names and contact information of three professional referees by 21st October, 2016 with “Project Director - SESEA” as the e-mail subject line to email@example.com
The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org)