Job Title: Financial Accountant
Post holder reports to: Financial Controller
Staff reporting to this post: Assistant Accountant - Payables, Assistant Accountant - Treasury
Staff significant for this post: Stores Supervisor, Management Accountant, HR Officer, Credit Controller, Group Financial AccountantEducation and Experience Required
- Bachelors Degree in Commerce or related.
- CPA (K)
- Minimum 4 years General accounting experience, of which at least 2 must be in a senior financial management position.
- To ensure all finance activities and transactions are in line with existing financial policies, procedures, systems and regulations of the company.
- To prepare accurate and timely monthly and quarterly financial reports.
- To prepare and ensure all GL accounts and Sub-Ledgers are reconciled
- To ensure that all the company assets well recorded and securedPreparing and file all statutory returns including tax returns
- Prepare the company payroll in conjunction with the HR departments
- To prudently manage working capital and ensure all financial obligations are met as set / agreed with suppliers and statutory bodies.
- To oversee treasury activities, recommend short term investment opportunities and divestitures while ensuring proper documentation and approvals.
- To recommend changes to the existing systems in line with changing business environment.
- To supervise junior staff and keep them effectively informed of their obligations and make regular follow ups on key aspects of their work such as quality, budget, timelines, reports and updates as may be necessary
- To perform any other duties as may be assigned by management.
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Job Knowledge and Skills [Level of competency required for effective job performance. Consider the understanding of basic principles, techniques and the ability to apply that knowledge to solve a wide range of job related problems and stay abreast of new developments]
- Initiative and Problem Solving [Ability to identify problems and generate alternative solutions. Consider the amount of supervision required and the ability to work independently. Is the employee a self-starter and creative in handling difficult and demanding clients. Also the ability to represent the organization’s best interest]
- Quality of Work [Ability to perform work duties correctly and consistently within established standards. Consider the quality of output and delivery of service. Does the employee project a professional attitude?]
- Quantity of Work [Ability to perform work duties correctly and consistently within established standards. Consider the quantity of output and delivery of services. Is the employee willing to take on additional assignments without complaining?]
- Care for organization’s resources [Demonstrated ability to take care and maintain organizational resources. Does the employee effectively utilize available resources without undue wastage?]
- Interpersonal Relationships & Communication [Ability to relate to other members of the work team including internal clients and convey and obtain correct information persuasively both verbally and in writing. Consider the ability to deal with difficult and demanding clients. Also the ability to represent the organization’s best interests.]
- Leadership and Training Skills [Ability to provide an example for others to follow. Consider the ability to train others and achieve results through teamwork. Also consider the ability to inspire confidence and motivate others to perform their job effectively]
- Teamwork [The ability to participate effectively as a member of a work team. Consider how well the employee supports other team members and covers for them in order to achieve organizational objectives.]
- Dependability & Reliability [The ability to do required jobs properly and accurately without supervision. Consider how well the employee can be trusted and relied upon to take on extra responsibility and to work beyond regular working hours in order to complete important and urgent work assignments]
- Time Management [Consider the employee’s ability to manage time effectively and to attend meetings and other engagements on time. Also consider the concern for arriving to work on the agreed time and to be available whenever required].
- Accounting Policies & Procedures [Consider the employee’s understanding of the organization’s accounting policies and procedures and annual accounting cycle]
- Business & Functional Knowledge [The employee’s awareness and understanding of the organization’s business, customers and suppliers and how the Finance function adds value to the business]
- Accounting & Numeracy [Consider the employee’s understanding and application of professional Accounting standards]
- Statutory Requirements [Consider the employee’s understanding of Company Law and statutory requirements. Consider the ability to prepare returns and ensure compliance]
- Financial Forecasting & Control [Consider the employee’s ability to apply financial modelling, forecasting and planning techniques. Also consider the ability to support the business in the budgeting and budget review processes]
- Management Reporting [Ability to generate, assess and provide functional reporting systems and to provide strategic insight into content of reports]
How to Apply
If you are qualified and up to the challenge send your application to email@example.com with the subject Financial Accountant – October 2016