M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Head of Human Resource Operations
Position Start: ASAP
Reporting to: Chief Human Resource OfficerOverall Purpose: M-KOPA is looking for a suitable individual who will facilitate the formulation and implementation of processes, procedures and strategies to enhance HR Operations and to maximize business value and to meet corporate objectives.
Who We Are: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of "pay-as-you-go" energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 350,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use instalment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage "credits" for Ksh 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company's proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPANET.
As of January, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 900 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
- Establishing and leading the HR Operations / HR Shared Service and focus on HR administrative excellence;
- Accountability for managing HR information systems utilizing HR Dynamics and other platforms;
- Providing oversight and leadership of transactional service delivery, operational effectiveness, business process review, continuous improvement activities and staff coaching and development;
- Responsible for processing of new hires, transfers, promotions and separations;
- Responsible for Employee Relations Management in pursuit of an engaged and productive workforce;
- Responsible for Employee Wellness and Welfare
- Bachelor’s Degree and relevant HR professional qualifications. MBA or post graduate certifications an added advantage.
- At least six years relevant experience with proven abilities to handle a position of similar nature.
c. Required skills:
- Leadership, coaching, management expertise / track record
- Demonstrable experience leading, developing and setting the people operations strategy in line with company goals.
- Ambitious with an ability to think "outside the box" and a naturally inquisitive and curious mind
- HR operations change / transformation experience
- Excellent team management skills and ability to run an efficient & effective HR operations service
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate and influence at all levels of the business
- Presentation and facilitation skills
- Commercially astute and results focused
Remuneration: Competitive covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, send a CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to email@example.com with the subject “HOD HR OPS”.
Deadline for application is 5pm on Sunday 9th October, 2016.
Please Note: M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.