M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Compensation & Benefits Manager
Location: Nairobi HQ
Position Start: ASAP
Reporting to: Chief Human Resource Officer
About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of "pay-as-you-go" energy for off-grid customers.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage "credits" for Kshs 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting.
After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company's proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of January 2016 M-KOPA employs over 700 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
Overall Purpose: The key responsibility of the Compensation and Benefits Manager will be to spearhead the development of a total reward strategy for M-KOPA in partnership with the HR department management and leadership of the organization, playing a specialist role in regards to compensations and benefits within the organization.
This pertains to planning, design, regulatory compliance, communication, policy development and administration of company-wide employee compensation and benefits programs consistent with the long term employee total reward objectives across the region (Kenya, Uganda & Tanzania).
- Design, implement, and manage salary classification and compensation programs.
- Administering the organization’s benefits programs (e.g. retirement plans, leave policies, wellness programs, insurance policies, etc.)
- Conduct analysis of compensation and benefits within company.
- Ensuring compensation and benefits plans are cost-effective and competitive
- Prepare occupational classifications, job descriptions, and salary scale.
- Oversee competitive analysis, merit increases and salary structure as well as comparing benefits and compensation plans, job classifications, and salaries through data and cost analysis.
- Monitoring and researching compensation and benefits trends as well as analysing surveys to ensure appropriate compensation across all departments.
- Forecast budget for salary increases.
- Administer and manage employee insurance plans.
- Oversee pension and savings plans.
- Advise on salary increase requests.
- Research job and worker requirements, structural and functional relationships among jobs and occupations, and occupational trends.
- Advise on government employment regulations, benefits and compensation policies, personnel procedures and classification programs.
Key Competencies, Skills and Experience Required
- Bachelor or Master degree in either Human Resources, Finance or Economics
- 5-8 years’ experience in HR, at least 3 years’ experience as Compensation & Benefits Manager or Specialist
- Experience in managing payroll data
- Knowledgeable about all applicable HR laws
- Highly numerate with a strong affinity for numbers, analytical, able to develop scenarios’, with sound business and financial acumen
- Independent and mature, able to work alone on a broad variety of projects
- Strong level of influence and negotiation skills.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills
- High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an effective team player with a high degree of confidentiality
- Articulate with excellent communication skills.
- Advanced Excel skills
Remuneration: Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, send an updated detailed copy of your CV and a cover letter expressing why you feel you would be an excellent candidate for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject EV-CBHR-2091
Deadline for applications is 5 pm on Friday 16th September, 2016.
Please Note: M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.
Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.