World Food Programme (WFP)
Vacancy Announcement No: RBN/010/2016
Grade: Service Contract, SC5 (G5 equivalent)
Duty Station: WFP Regional Bureau for East & Central Africa, Nairobi
Salary: As per UN Service Contract Salary Bands
This vacancy is open to both male and female candidates.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill the position of Finance Assistant in support of the Regional Bureau office, based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Regional Bureau provides strategic guidance, policy/technical support and direction to WFP operations and activities in nine countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan and Uganda.
Expected Results: Under the overall supervision of the Regional Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in providing the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Monitor monthly expenditure forecasts and provide expenditure reports in order to facilitate informed decision-making.
- Monitor the sub-imprest bank and petty cash accounts regularly, to ensure that adequate funds are available and appropriately disbursed.
- Verify vendor claims, advances and other receivables and observe appropriate procurement procedures, to ensure that suppliers are paid in a timely manner and in conformance with WFP finance rules and regulations.
- Assist in compiling information from various sources in order to prepare reports relating to budgets, accounting, finance and statistics.
- Retrieve, format and validate information obtained from various financial information systems and bring any discrepancy or inaccuracy to the attention of the supervisor and follow up corrective actions.
- Perform administrative duties related to the monitoring and recording of fixed assets, spend on fuel and spare parts for vehicles and generators, to ensure that the databases are accurately updated.
- Maintain the web-based register for all invoices and payment transfers and record paperwork, to ensure that all documents are maintained and filed in compliance with WFP standards and guidelines.
- Monitor and record all expenses in line with the approved budget in order to ensure that correct expenditure costs are charged and payments to external suppliers, cash grants and other supplier invoices are processed in a timely manner.
- Provide guidance and on-the-job training to other support staff, to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
Qualifications and Experience
Education: Secondary school education, preferably supplemented by technical training/diploma in an accounting related field (ACCA, CPA either completed or on-going).
Experience: At least five or more years of progressively responsible working experience in financial management or accounting, including some experience in either audit, evaluation or other related fields.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience collecting and monitoring financial data on projects and programmes, assessing financial health and status, and reporting findings to senior leaders
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of internal controls, risk management, and monitoring mechanisms.
- Demonstrates participation in business planning efforts by developing basic project-level budgets and forecasts, incorporating information from various sources as appropriate to monitor KPIs.
- Ability to track and compile reports and resource usage on a project-level basis.
- Applies knowledge of financial and accounting principles and practices
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Training and/or experience using MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and outlook.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications ONLY, according to the following procedures:
- Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/16-0021679
- Step 1: Create your online CV
- Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
Note: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Deadline for applications: 20 July 2016.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
If you have any queries relating to this VA please send them to: email@example.com
WFP does not charge fees at any stage during the recruitment process.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.