UNOPS is known for its ability to implement complex projects in all types of environments around the globe.
In an effort to promote organizational excellence, UNOPS seeks highly qualified individuals for the following position:
Vacancy Code: MASOM _ 160
Post Title: Procurement Assistant
Post Level: LICA – level 3 (equivalent of G5/6 post)
Org Unit: United Nations Somalia Mine Action (UNSOMA)
Duty Station: Nairobi Kenya
Duration: 6 months (With possibility of extension)
Closing Date: January 14th 2011
The UN Somalia Mine Action Programme has been managed by the UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) with implementation by UNOPS since early 2009.
In south central Somalia, Somalia Mine Action will expand the activities in support of the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) during 2010.
In complement to the provision of capacity building and support for the AMISOM forces to undertake EOD (Explosive Ordnance) activities in Mogadishu to reduce the large amounts of ERW (Explosive Remnants of War) and stockpiles throughout the city, EOD teams will be deployed in Mogadishu in concert with an emergency MRE initiative by UNMAS, UNICEF and UNHCR to reach the large numbers of returnees for provision of humanitarian assistance.
UNSOMA has an office in Nairobi to provide managerial and support functions for the Regional Offices in Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the general guidance and direction of the Head of Administration and the direct supervision of the Administration Officer, the incumbent will carry out procurement for the Mine Action Program including
- Prepare RFQ and ITB for goods and services
- Prepare evaluations and awards
- Issue contracts and Purchase orders
- Ensure proper filing and archiving of finalised procurement exercises
- Assist with preparation of bid analysis and pass these on for technical evaluation or advice before orders are placed or presented to the purchasing committee.
- Respond to queries from projects, clients, companies, etc. regarding procurement related matters.
- A sound knowledge of UNOPS/UN financial rules is an advantage
- Sound Computer skills, in particular MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, FASS, Atlas and Imprest.
- Ability to work in a multi-national/multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work under time pressure
- Strong communication skills
- Secondary education level is mandatory. A University degree in the area of procurement or any related field would be an asset;
- Professional certification in the field of procurement (from Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply or elsewhere) a plus.
- At least 3 to5 years progressively responsible experience is required, preferably including atleast 2 year in specialized areas of procurement. Work experience in an international organization is an asset;
- Ability to translate and apply business acumen and technical expertise into UNOPS operations
- Competent level of computer literacy – MS Office as a minimum;
- Experience directly relevant to establishment and development of new tools for improvement of support services;
- Must have keen sense of ethics and integrity in dealing with clients and service providers.
- Must be able to meet timeline for delivery of products and services to clients.
- Experience within the UN system is essential
- A minimum one years experience working in international organizations
- Experience with policy is essential
- Computer literacy, with solid experience of using Microsoft Office suite
- Proven ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
- Proven ability to work within a team
Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a letter of interest detailing suitability and relevant experience, complete Curriculum Vitae and an updated United Nations Personal History Form (P.11) (available on our website), via e-mail to email@example.com.
Indicate the vacancy number and the post title in the subject line when applying by email.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
The contractual modality will depend on the selected candidate’s qualifications, experience and current/previous contractual status with the UN.