The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a New Partnership Worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.In seeking to attain this objective, the African Union intends to build its capacity to deliver, among others, the implementation of a new organizational structure and the filling of all vacant posts of Translator.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for a position in the Conference Services Directorate in the Commission.
Post:Post title: Translator-French
Post level: P3Unit: Conference Services Directorate
Immediate Supervisor: Director, Conference Services
Major duties and responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Conference Services, the responsibilities and duties of the incumbent shall include the following:
· To translate properly documents, primarily from English into French, ensuring the highest standard of accuracy, and maintaining the spirit, context, quality, technical language and nuances of the original version, using precise, clear and proper terminology;
To do this work, the translator shall:
1. Check appropriate sources of reference;
2. Keep abreast with developments in both the source and target languages up-dating specific terminologies, phrases, special expressions, lexicons and acronyms in order to expand vocabulary and enhance skills;
3. Regularly consult colleagues, authors of texts and specialised dictionaries / glossaries, data banks, etc..;
4. Propose terminology materials to the Reviser for the AU terminology.
· To perform any other duty as may be assigned by the Director, Deputy Director or the Reviser.
Candidates must have at least a Bachelors Degree in translation from recognized school of translation and additional qualifications in Languages or Economics, Law, Humanities or such discipline will be an added advantage.
Candidates must have at least 6 years of progressively relevant working experience in Translation.
Other relevant skills:
· Excellent knowledge of French and English. A good knowledge of a third AU working language would be an added advantage;
· Professionalism, Teamwork, discipline;
· Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines and in a multicultural environment;
· Excellent writing skills;
· Computer literacy.
Candidates must be between 30 and 45 years old.Tenure of Appointment: The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit the following:
· A letter stating reasons for seeking employment with the AU Commission;
· A detailed and updated CV, indicating your nationality, age and gender;
· Names and contact details (including e-mail address) of three references;
· Certified copies of degrees and diplomas.
Indicative basic salary of US$33,619.00 per annum plus other related entitlements-e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance ($16,819.20 per annum), education allowance (75% of tuition and other education related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$7,800.00 per child per annum), etc for internationally recruited staff of the commission.
Applications must be received not later than 09 April 2010 and should be addressed to:
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
P.O. Box 3243Fax: 00251-11-5525840/5510430
E-mail: au-recruits @ africa-union.org